Honored Contributor

Re: DIY Cost Savings for Pets

@Havarti  That is terrible that the Vet school was pushing an unnecessary dental on you.  We have a Vet school here, too, that I have taken pets to in the past.  

My Vet has never pushed dentals on me, and I appreciate that.  When she suggests that one of my pets has needed one I believe her.  I just took my 5 1/2 year old dog for her annual exam.  She has never had a dental, and my Vet said she didn't need one.  My 13 year old dog that died two years ago never had a dental in his life.  By the time my Vet thought he had enough tarter that he could use one, she felt he was too old to put under anesthesia so didn't recommend it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack

It sounds like you have a wonderful vet!  One that runs her practice where the animals come before the bottom line.  You are very lucky, as I think the future is more profit driven than animal driven.  Of course, there will always be exceptions – thank goodness.  And I fully understand that a vet needs to be profitable to stay in business and all animal lovers want & need them to be there for us.  But it was a real eye-opener to see what was being taught & pushed at the vet school.  While I felt my dog received excellent care, I was really disappointed in reading about the tips & tricks for milking more money out of pet owners, and then to have them say at that very appointment there was a false need for dental – I found it really sad. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti, thank you so much for the info on the heartworm medicine. I ordered some today. I have 3 dogs this will save me alot of money. 

I noticed that it said it was for cats and dogs. My vet has never said anything to me about the cats needing it.

Do you cat owners give your cats heartgaurd or anything similar?

Just curious. My vet is closed now, I will probably call monday.

Trusted Contributor

@happycat

If your cat is outside frequently you might consider it.  If your cat is an indoor cat it is much less likely to get it.  You need to weigh the fact that only one bite from one carrier mosquito can cause heartworm and you have to consider the likelihood of that happening against the giving the strong medicine.  I never used it on my indoor cats, but that was my decision.  You are right; you should discuss it with your vet.  Your vet probably won’t be happy that you went elsewhere to purchase your heartworm meds particularly if you got it directly from the vet in the past.  That is another good profit item for vets to sell…and they don’t want to lose that sale.  Get the information you need and then let your heart guide you as to what you think is best for your animals. 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti, thank you.