Honored Contributor

Re: Cutting your cat's claws

My Siamese cat would go wild when I tried to cut his claws (with a great cat-claw nipper) until:

I would sit down and sit the cat in my lap with his back against my tummy.  Picture him sitting up like a child in my lap, facing away from me.  His front legs would sort of drape over my arms.  I'd pick up a paw and look down and clip away and he was FINE with that!  He would look up at me with big eyes then look down and watch what I was doing and he was FINE.

I think he was comfy "sitting" there, felt secure in my arms, and could see what was going on.  He wasn't held tight or restrained or didn't feel like he was trapped and he was calm as a cucumber! 

Honored Contributor

Never...ever....never trim your cat's nails yourself!   Unbelievable...every cat owner knows that.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I could not get my cat in his carrier to get his claws clipped at the groomers.  We had a real struggle and guess who won?  I am afraid to try clipping them myself, but I may have to learn. Any suggestions?

@chihuahuamom

You have two issues to deal with .... the carrier resistance  ....  and the nails.

First, he needs to be less afraid of the carrier ... how do you ever get him to the Vet?   Leave it out for a while.  I found that immersing a little cloth mousie in catnip for a few days and  putting it about halfway into the carrier caused immense curiousity, and solved the problem fairly quickly.

Secondly, you don't say how old he is, but if he's an adult, this is NOT the time to start attempting to clip nails!  Just forget it.

Personally, I drop my Bogey into his carrier and have the groomer at Krisers clip them once a month or thereabouts ..... best $10 a month that  I spend on him!

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree

I'm curious. What makes you think it's not okay to trim your cat's nails yourself? Even the Human Society of the US has a website explaining how to go about doing it yourself. I googled it, and no where could I find a reason to not do it yourself. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

He is an adult male about 2 years old. I have had him at the groomers a few times for clippings, and there is no problem with that.  It's just getting him into the carrier.. He has never been to the vet.  We got him at a rescue place that had already given him his shots, neutered, etc.  My groomer suggested a "cat bag". I looked at Petsmart, and they are just more of a quilted carrier.  She also said wrap him in a towel to bring him.  Hmmm  He might be all over the car when I am driving.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

He is an adult male about 2 years old. I have had him at the groomers a few times for clippings, and there is no problem with that.  It's just getting him into the carrier.. He has never been to the vet.  We got him at a rescue place that had already given him his shots, neutered, etc.  My groomer suggested a "cat bag". I looked at Petsmart, and they are just more of a quilted carrier.  She also said wrap him in a towel to bring him.  Hmmm  He might be all over the car when I am driving.

@chihuahuamom

Make the carrier user friendly .... I think a little catnip will help. I think Cosmic Catnip is the best!    If not, wrap him in a towel ... and then drop him in the carrier!

Occasional Visitor

Sounds like you may be confusing "trimming/cutting" your cats nails with declawing. You never declaw a cat! As a former veterinarian assistant we frequently trimmed kitty nails, especially indoor cats. There is a natural curve to the nail.  If not trimmed  they can grow into the pad of their toes causing great discomfort . I've got two cats who get regular trims. 

Frequent Contributor

I too am wondering why someone would say to never clip a cats claws, maybe they're saying it so the cat can defend itself if it goes outside? I have 2 cats and I trim their claws every once in a while, I'm lucky because even though they don't like it, they don't fight.  One time my cat was walking near me and as she stepped I hear clink, clink, click. I think, I shouldn't be hearing her step, I checked her paws and one claw had went crazy. It was real thick and had spiraled to the point it was starting to go into her pad (it actually looked like a sea shell). Scared the mess out of me, I took a picture and sent it to my cousin who is a vet tech and asked what to do. She said I just needed trim it, I asked her what would cause it because all her other claws were normal length, she said she probably traumatized it. My poor kitty never even let on something was wrong, I felt so horrible, now I check their paws more frequently. Somebody had mentioned that if you do cut the quick, flour does work to stop the bleeding if you don't have stypic powder on hand. 

Trusted Contributor

Go to you tube some veterinary school s have put up instructional videos.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

Never...ever....never trim your cat's nails yourself!   Unbelievable...every cat owner knows that.

Why? (Or are you being facetious?) I've done it for years. Out of the five cats we have, two have their front claws. The first Sunday afternoon of every month, they get their claws trimmed. And Tabby, the one we brought in as a wee little kitten (with one of the worst cases of ear mites our vet has ever seen in his life), gets her ears cleaned-out, too. It's part of living with those two. Trim their claws, clean out Tabby's ears. And then everybody gets treats.

I'm really curious to know why one should never trim a cat's claws. It's part of taking care of a cat.