Valued Contributor

I could not get my cat in his carrier to get his claws clipped at the groomers.  We had a real struggle and guess who won?  I am afraid to try clipping them myself, but I may have to learn. Any suggestions?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cutting your cat's claws

First off, buy the clippers that are specifically for cats or dogs.

We had a cat that didn't like his claws touched. We'd gently wrap him up in a towel with one paw out at a time. Sometimes we could get all the claws on that paw and sometimes we'd have to clip two, let him simmer down again and then clip another two until we got them all. This may have been over a few days. Just depends on what the animal is used to as far as having their paws touched.

Our dog is another story. No way, no how can we clip her claws!

Honored Contributor

Grab the scruff of the cats neck.  The cat will lay or hunker down as if his mother was carrying him.  That memory never goes away with cats.

Petsmart clips my cats nails.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor

I clip my cat's claws using a small nail clipper. My husband used to hold her and I would clip. Now I do it myself...when kitty is relaxed on the floor I sit beside her, and start clipping. If she gets too active, I hold the scruff of her neck (like the mama cat would) and that helps her relax or to calm down a little. Then she gets a treat at the end.

I'm not saying it's easy to clip a cat's claws....some people have to take kitty in. I do get meows from kitty, but I keep going.

Good luck with your kitty!

Honored Contributor

Good advice from everyone. DH added to be careful not to cut below the quick of the nail so it doesn't bleed. It is easy to see it. He holds them in his lap to do them. Two of ours "tolerate" it, and our other one just sits there. Good luck! Smiley Happy 

Super Contributor

I clip my cat's nails myself. I don't get all the nails at once, as he gets squirmy at the end, but I try to get all the nails clipped over 2-3 days.

I use regular 'human' Revlon nail clippers (not the larger toenail clippers) and try to gauge how he might be feeling before I start (like, I won't start after he just ate or pull him out of a dead sleep).

I have the best luck when he's on a bed or sofa, so I'm able to kneel next to him or hunker down to get a good enough grip and be able to turn him. I don't even care that the clippings fly everywhere - those can be cleaned up afterwards! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

My cat uses her scratching post many times during the day.  I've had her 5 years and she's never bothered the furniture.  She wore out her carpeted scratching post and I got her a sisal (sp) scratching post which she is slowly wearing out.  Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

I always clipped the nails on my cats, using only a regular nail clipper.  I always just clipped off the tip.  One cat didn't mind at all - he would almost hand me each paw, as if he was at a beauty salon!  The other cat, however, was not quite so cooperative!  It used to take me most of the day to manage to get all of his nails clipped!!!!

Super Contributor

Like the other replies, I cut my cat's claws myself with a regular pair of nail clippers. They don't like it but do cooperate. You can tell where the quick is because the nail will start to look darker closer to the paw. All I want to add is you may want to get some of the powder stuff (quick stop, maybe...can't remember the name). They sell it in a little jar at petsmart. If you do cut the quick, tab some of the powder on the nail and it will stop the bleeding as dog and cat nails do bleed a lot when the quick is cut. Have it with you when you clip just in case. 

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Esteemed Contributor

Years ago I did it with a cat we had. drew some blood and called the vet. He said to put flour  on it and it worked.