Honored Contributor

Sad update on Cushing's dog

[ Edited ]

I haven't seen any recent discussions of Cushing's in dogs and today I find myself with a dog newly diagnosed with hyperadrenocorticism, or Cushings Disease.

The vet recommends starting with low doses of Trilostane.  We haven't started yet since she was just diagnosed today after her ACTH test.  She'll go back for further monitoring in a couple of weeks after we start the medication.

Do you have any Cushing's stories that you might like to share?pril

ETA:  She passed away last night, April 3.  It was sudden.  More in the last couple of posts if anyone is interested.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

Hi Homegirl. You may or may not find this helpful. I have a dog that tested very high on the scale for cushings twice. I didn't go any further to get the final diagnosis, but my vet said he most probably had it. I asked what the treatment was and he told me if it was one kind of cushings,  it was treatable. If it was the other one, it doesn't respond to treatment. But he ultimately told me that it doesn't really do anything to them long term. The only thing is the symptoms of drinking and eating and urinating more. With this information, I decided not to do any further testing. Your vet may totally disagree, but that's what we came up with here. He has been my vet for 25 or so years, so I trust him completely.

I hope you find the solution you are comfortable with and you have a long happy life with her.

Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach, how old is your dog how is her health overall? 

Honored Contributor

My sister found out her 13 year old shih tzu has Cushings about a year ago.  I'm not sure which treatment she's on, but the Vet recommended a specific one and that's what she's doing.  She gives her a small amount of medicine through a syringe mixed with food every day.  

She goes to the Vet every once in a while (maybe every 3-4 mos.?) for blood work and stays about six hours.  They test it at certain intervals.  Her blood work has been good since starting this treatment, and she doesn't have to urinate nearly as frequently.  My sister is happy with the treatment plan.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Hi @pupwhipped

She's got to be about 16 now.  She's small, about 10 pounds.

Overall, she is happy, and has a good spirit.  She eats well.

Her symptoms are pretty typical for Cushing's, duller coat, slightly bloated belly, losing hair on belly, skin peeling, weakness in hindquarters, increased thirst, increased urination - none of which seems to bother her.   

I'm also looking at nutritional support, such as phosphatidyl-serine, and will be talking with the vet later today about how to include that, or if.  I'm very much in favor of natural solutions if possible.  

I used to feed some of my former dogs raw, but haven't with this one.  I know it can have good results overall, but she is already elderly and, now, ill.  So we'll see about this particular component.

Honored Contributor

@NickNackwrote:

My sister found out her 13 year old shih tzu has Cushings about a year ago.  I'm not sure which treatment she's on, but the Vet recommended a specific one and that's what she's doing.  She gives her a small amount of medicine through a syringe mixed with food every day.  

She goes to the Vet every once in a while (maybe every 3-4 mos.?) for blood work and stays about six hours.  They test it at certain intervals.  Her blood work has been good since starting this treatment, and she doesn't have to urinate nearly as frequently.  My sister is happy with the treatment plan.

I just wanted to follow up to my earlier post.  My sister just called me and said that her shih tzu is on trilostane.  She had her blood work this week, and the Vet just called her to say everything is in the normal range.  They have to go to the Vet frequently in the beginning to get the dose adjusted correctly.  It's definitely helping her dog though.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @NickNack, for the follow-up.

It's good knowing a real person's real dog is doing well on that medication.  Funny how people here are more real to me than maybe even other patients at the vet's office - especially since I don't really talk to them and mostly they are in the waiting rooms for completely different reasons.

Once we start, we have to go back for testing in two weeks.  

All the best to you and your cats and your sister and her ShihTzu.

Respected Contributor

My 16 year old Cairn was diagnosed with it back in 2004 and I was going to move heaven and earth to try and help her. At that time Trilostane wasn't even available in the U.S. I had to order it from England. She had some complicating issues and even though I did receive the medication, she never got to try it. We believe she had a pulmonary embolism and we had to let her go...this was about five months after the original diagnosis. During those months I put her through a lot of tests and stress that I later regretted. But back then things were black and white to me and I was going to "save her" at all costs. I don't see things that way as much anymore.

I could go on and on as I've since had a couple other dogs with the same diagnosis, although one was Atypical Cushing's. I did things differently with them. But in general, I would most definitely do the treatments in a young dog. Even though this disease is seen more often in older dogs, there are plenty of young ones who get it, too. But with an older dog, I think the decision to treat is a little more difficult to make.

I'm sure this hasn't been of much help to you, but if you have any specific questions you want to ask me, feel free. 

Best to you and your sweet girl.

pup 

Respected Contributor

Hmmm, as lengthy as my post was, I could have made the font a little smaller. Sorry. 

Super Contributor

My favorite website, EarthClinic, has a section on Cushing's in dogs. A number of people have contributed with their experiences and suggestions.

There is a holistic supplement called Cushex, some recommended melatonin, organic coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, too many to mention.

One thing some said, that it can be caused by overmedicating, vaccines, poor diet, flea chemicals. 

It's a quick read, with lots of links, if you're interested.  Good luck!