Honored Contributor

Last night , this terrible high pitch screams ,once again woke us up, this scares me so much with my dogs!!!

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

We worry abt coyotes  when we take out little dog out at night as we live in a rural area since our really big dog passed away . My Husband walks out with him but he doesn't  wander around the yard at night now . We also have a bear that's been seen in the neighborhood , so I'm a little weary of taking him out .

Valued Contributor

We hear coyotes here, too, at night.

One or two coyotes can sound like a whole pack.

Two of my dogs (in fenced area) howl back at coyotes.

Valued Contributor

I've had a few take naps in my backyard. Guess that's life in AZ Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

We see them in the mid-Atlantic.  People often mistake them for dogs.  The ones I see are small.  They are masters of camouflage.

Though I'm not in the least dismissive of the risk of an unwanted encounter, my dog owns his back yard.  Plus, he doesn't go out unleashed after dark.  He doesn't really want to, either - good instincts.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

We even have them here in NE Ohio, 20 miles east of Cleveland in my city of 50,000!  People's dogs have been attacked.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

We had one go through our yard one winter in the snow chasing a couple of deer.

Trusted Contributor

We've seen them often in Las Vegas.  We live down the street from a golf course and a sports park, so there are little foxes, quail, roadrunners and coyotes around.  Those coyotes can jump a fence easily, so we keep our little Yorkies in at night.  There have been local news stories (complete with home security videos) about coyotes eating small dogs and other pets.

Esteemed Contributor

We never had coyotes in our area until "someone" imported them into the "posh" area of the subburbs to curtail the deer population. Well, you know how this story goes. The cyotes don't pay attention to township lines and travel where the deer herd travels. We have a ton of woods in most of the subburb areas so now we all have coyotes. I have dogs but I keep them in a fenced in area in our patio. We had a "sick" coyote sleeping outside the gate and my German Shepherd jumped up so high to get at him. He's a big boy and must have leaped 6 feet. I was right behind him and got him by the collar. The coyote ran and I took the dogs inside. Now I check the fence line before they go outside.

It appears that no one has a plan for the coytoe problem in the area. They seem to be acculamating themselves to sounds and people in the area. 

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

We worry abt coyotes  when we take out little dog out at night as we live in a rural area since our really big dog passed away . My Husband walks out with him but he doesn't  wander around the yard at night now . We also have a bear that's been seen in the neighborhood , so I'm a little weary of taking him out .

Keep him on a leash, do not go out too far ,there has been many small ,and med dogs taken by them, they even know about what time you go out, keep on leash .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.