Esteemed Contributor

I dislike them. Wish they were not around my neck of the woods.

We just had a horrible incident right off our property in the woods

visible behind our home here in PA.

Please don't read any further for those who may find it disturbing.

We walk our dog back there often and my poor young son took 

our dog about a month ago and found a dead deer torn to shreds.

Neighbor ironically called me later telling me higher up the hill

coyotes were seen and then we knew that they are on the hunt.

My husband came home and in bitter cold weather cleaned up

the best he could and dragged the remains far back deep into

the woods. Couldn't let any come later that night with the remains

still there and our dog still knew the next day something happened

with her nose that knows.

This was the closest incident and I hope the last one. Another neighbor 

has horses and spotted one sitting higher up on a hill watching her

feed them. Terrifying to me.

Honored Contributor

My sister has a friend who was sitting in her den the other day and looking at her from outside her french doors was a coyote.  She has a dog that was inside with her, fortunately.  She lives in a subdivision.  That would really frighten me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

OMG!  I hope people are aware and keep their pets inside.  We have them here too, one morning last summer I saw one walk right past my deck and I was sitting out there having my coffee.  I just froze, thankfully he kept going.   I've seen them before over the years but never up that close!

@LindaSal ~ Ditto for me!  Sitting on deck, enjoying a cup of coffee, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a very large yellow dog.  As he proceeded to go by, I realized that it was a coyote.  I've never seen one this close.  Glad he decided to keep strolling by.  This was in northern Arizona.  Many a night we would hear their eerie howling.  😳

Honored Contributor

Yes they scare me, cats go missing all the time here,people put on town f b page, they are gone, and they,the coyotes will learn when you go out with your pets,  they are smart, i saw a huge on a few years ago ,in day time ,on a very hot day ,in field next to me,fighting off bugs ,he went into the sun to get away from the bugs. A man took his dog out at the same time at night, a coyote waited for him,grabed the dog.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

One of my neighbors got this shot of another neighbor.  They are all over the place ever since they shut down our very large golf course right in the middle of town several years ago.  I think it gave them and their prey new territory.  There are many stories of them snatching cats and small dogs, which must be a terrifying way for a beloved pet to go.  One dog was taken while standing next to his owner in his own yard.  A wandering cat doesn't stand a chance.

This one is in prime condition, fat with a heavy good-looking coat.  It was with 2 others.

Screenshot_20210303-141036_Nextdoor.jpg

@Kachina624 

That is a healthy looking coyote. Not any less dangerous and as you say a threat to domestic pets, ours here in the foothills of Denver are rail thin and affected severely by mange. I don't remember a pic of a local coyote looking healthy for at least a year, very sad.

Contributor

The 'skinny' coyotes are ones you would see out west. Eastern coyotes are muscular and look like Kachina's photo. I live in Maryland in a rural area and have seen them a few times. The first time I saw one up close it was frightening because I thought it was a wolf.

Esteemed Contributor

@AKgirl  I live in RI and we live in a quiet condo complex.  The back of our building borders a State park with 373 acres of woods.  The wildlife is incredible here.  I used to live in a very wooded area in another part of the state and we downsized a couple years ago.  I thought we would never see the wildlife we had out there again, boy, was I wrong!

I've seen more in the 2 years I've been living in the condo.  Pretty awesome, but unnerving at times.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Everyone here is aware of their presence but people still let their cats roam.  It's a death sentence for the cat as they soon disappear. 

@Kachina624 

Clearly those "people" are all imbeceils

and should never be allowed to own a pet. Cat Mad

----------------------------------

All of my children have paws   =^..^=

Honored Contributor

@beastielove. People on our Next Door app are always bemoaning the fact that their cat has disappeared.  Others pretty much tell them they were idiots to let them roam but people still do it.  Their cats are accustomed to going out and they don't want to put up with the fuss the cat makes.  They say, " you can't keep a cat inside".  As we know, yes, you can.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 - This is one reason DH has always told everyone, "Cats have no business being outside," and "Nothing good can happen to a cat outside." I've heard him say that since I've known him.

We've always had these guys around too. One of my friends lives in a very rural area. Their one spoiled cat was indoors only. For some reason she ran out and my friend and her family were frantic. They looked for her and listened for her bell. Nothing. She never came home. My friend said late one night she heard a horrible cry in her backyard. She and her husband both went downstairs to see what was going on, but didn't see anything. She's convinced her kitty was trying to come home and didn't make it.

We have so many feral cats around. There are a lot of old abandoned farms- and barns. The cat rescue groups do their best.  

Prayers now for the kitties who are in danger.