Honored Contributor

One of my neighbors got this shot of another neighbor.  They are all over the place ever since they shut down our very large golf course right in the middle of town several years ago.  I think it gave them and their prey new territory.  There are many stories of them snatching cats and small dogs, which must be a terrifying way for a beloved pet to go.  One dog was taken while standing next to his owner in his own yard.  A wandering cat doesn't stand a chance.

This one is in prime condition, fat with a heavy good-looking coat.  It was with 2 others.

Screenshot_20210303-141036_Nextdoor.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

OMG!  I hope people are aware and keep their pets inside.  We have them here too, one morning last summer I saw one walk right past my deck and I was sitting out there having my coffee.  I just froze, thankfully he kept going.   I've seen them before over the years but never up that close!

Honored Contributor

He/she is a beauty!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Our local rescue groups and county kennel have been putting stuff all over social media warning people that it is mating season for coyotes.  Therefore, there will be more of them and they will be more aggressive.

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac.  Yes, unusually so.  They're usually kind of scroungy.

Honored Contributor

Everyone here is aware of their presence but people still let their cats roam.  It's a death sentence for the cat as they soon disappear. 

Honored Contributor

We were woken up the other night by yipping coyotes.  I believe they were on the other side of our wall.  Maybe mating season explains the noise that they were making.  It was unnerving, although our dog, in between us in the bed, was oblivious to it all.

He is never in the yard on his own.  We carry a thick dowel on our walks.  

I am surprised at how many rabbits are running around the neighborhood.  

Respected Contributor

We have them near us too.  We have two dogs but they sleep inside.  We do hear them sometimes at night - they often react to passing sirens.

Respected Contributor

They seem to be in suburban communities now, not just rural.  We have plenty of them, not that good looking as Kachina's photo.  Some are thin with mangy coats.  We rarely see cats. My dog and another dog chased one across a field this past week.  Luckily he squeezed through a break in the fence as he outran them.  I don't want to think how it would have gone if the coyote had been cornered.  

We added some wire fencing to the top of our gate and brick walls to keep them out of the yard. They can jump a high wall or fence easily.   They will attack a dog on leash and recently here in Calif. a small child was bitten recently.  

Respected Contributor

We have a woods behind our houses.  Alot of us have large acre plus lots.  Coyotes showed up again recently as howl on occasion.  A couple of years ago one went in a neighbors yard after their Jack Russell in the summer . I was grilling one noon  time and a big one came out of the woods. At first I thought It was a dog.  Any time there is a road kill of a rabbit or squirrel the next day its gone. I also have Red Fox and they come through the yard after rodents.

The woman across the street put up a chain link  fence as they would cross her big yard. I have  large Lab type dogs, inside or with me. It is said Coyotes are shy but if hungry who knows? They also eat some fruits and plants. The rabbits stay pretty close to the house to eat bird sunflower seed and deer corn so seem to be ok. I have one under my deck.

I have heard of Fishers, a mean weasel type animal killing pets. I have a couple of neighbors whose cats come over to mouse in the Fall and I worry about them. The Shelter asks upon adoption to not let cats roam and agree to the request.