Respected Contributor

We have had Lila for about 4 months.  She is a chihuahua mix about 1 1/2 years old.  Possibly abused, stray found on Chicago street, and taken by rescue organization from shelter.  Spent about a month in foster care.

She can be skittish, which we understand.  She has picked my husband as her "person," despite my having arranged her adoption!  She wanted no part of me in the beginning, but will sit with me at night watching television now. 

What is frustrating us is a couple things.  One that really bugs us is she will not come when called.  She will even evade us sometimes.  Like say you want to take her out (which she likes), and you call her for the leash.  Whatever it is, she will not respond to our call.

The other thing is she barks at me in the kitchen.  Nothing will seem to stop it.  I have ignored her, turned my back on her, chastised her up the stairs, my husband tries to call her, etc.  She has gotten better at barking at neighbors and their dogs.  She will either not bark or just for a minute, and even allow some to pet her.

I have tried a treat if she pauses barking in the kitchen.  She will go back to barking.  That and not coming when called is aggravating us more!

Any suggestions???

Hyacinth

Valued Contributor

I think a consulatation with a good dog trainer might be helpful, considering her background and possible history of abuse.

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

We have had Lila for about 4 months.  She is a chihuahua mix about 1 1/2 years old.  Possibly abused, stray found on Chicago street, and taken by rescue organization from shelter.  Spent about a month in foster care.

She can be skittish, which we understand.  She has picked my husband as her "person," despite my having arranged her adoption!  She wanted no part of me in the beginning, but will sit with me at night watching television now. 

What is frustrating us is a couple things.  One that really bugs us is she will not come when called.  She will even evade us sometimes.  Like say you want to take her out (which she likes), and you call her for the leash.  Whatever it is, she will not respond to our call.

The other thing is she barks at me in the kitchen.  Nothing will seem to stop it.  I have ignored her, turned my back on her, chastised her up the stairs, my husband tries to call her, etc.  She has gotten better at barking at neighbors and their dogs.  She will either not bark or just for a minute, and even allow some to pet her.

I have tried a treat if she pauses barking in the kitchen.  She will go back to barking.  That and not coming when called is aggravating us more!

Any suggestions???

Hyacinth

This dog was traumatized before you got her. Being on the streets and who knows what happened before that will change a dog.  You're expecting too much too soon. It could take a long time for the dog to adjust to you and your home.  Love and patience will help.  

You seem stressed by all this.  Your dog knows this which is likely why she goes to your H instead of you.  You have to relax. The more anxious you are, the longer it'll take for her to trust you.  The dog didn't know you arranged for the adoption...and why should that even matter.

Reward good behavior.  I keep a little container of dog food or mini dog treats nearby for rewarding good behavior. 

Plus, she is chihuahua (mix) - known for their yapping and not obeying every request.

My dog was horribly abused and kept in a kennel with 4 large dogs the first two years of his life.  He'd been hit, kicked, beat, neglected, etc, and got only crumbs that the bigger dogs dropped on the floor of the kennel.  He didn't know how to eat or drink out of a bowl when I got him.  It took him 6 months before he voluntarily came to sit by me.  I've had him almost 7 years now and he still gets nervous and cowers around people and dogs.   

And he sticks to me like glue.  He knows he's safe, protected, and loved now.  He knows he doesn't have to worry about anything when I'm near. And I wouldn't have it any other way.  

You could look into training classes but it may not be very successful until you relax and until your dog trusts you.

Esteemed Contributor

Can she hear? And if she was in shelter her barking might be because that's what all the dogs did around her. I agree with other poster get someone to help you. 🐾❤️

Regular Contributor

You have no idea what the pup has been through before it arrived on your doorstep.  Please be patient.

I would suggest dog training classes. Often local shelters offer classes.  They will train you !

It is imperative that the dog comes when you call...in case it gets loose in a park, busy street, etc.  I have found, with the help of classes, that dogs will do most anything for a treat.  Reward the pup and throw a party every time it comes, even if it is a few feet.  Since you will be doing alot of treating at first, I break the treats into tiny tidbits.

Honored Contributor

"She has picked my husband as her "person,.........."

Your husband is now the ALPHA of the "pack."  That will NOT change.  Chihuahuas are extremely loyal to their "owner/ALPHAS."  You will be tolorated as part of the pack. Smiley Very Happy

If you are not going to send your dog to "training" school, I strongly suggest that you research how to train & care for chihuahuas.  They are like cats.  Will take persistance & repitition.  In the end it will be well worth it.

Once my senior cat dies from old age I plan on getting an adult (between 1-3 yrs old) Chihuahua.  I have been doing a lot of researching.  To get you started, check out this website:  wikihow dot com/Care-for-Your-Chihuahua

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Frequent Contributor

Have you checked if shes deaf?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Couple issues with dog

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003  My first thought is that your dog is deaf, and I would have her checked out at the vet.  When you adopt a dog that has been abused and/or abandoned, there are behaviors that they felt they needed in order to survive.  Depending on where you got her will depend on how well staff worked with her.  With patience, and probably the help of a trainer, some behaviors can be changed.  Barking is probably a defense mechanism for Lila.  Your husband is the alpha and you are there to do everything else.  That is how it is.

Get her to the vet for a full checkup, ask the vet for trainer recommendations, and maybe it would be good to take her to training classes with other dogs.  

Thank you for adopting her.  With time and patience, Lila will be just fine, or at least at fine as Lila can be.  I feel that when you adopt from a shelter that your life will only get better.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Dogs will pick a favorate person, sometimes there is not rhyme or reason.

As far as her recall I would use a long line (no off leash privilages).  If she comes when called, reward.  If she does not come gently start pulling her in till she comes, then reward.  You then release them to go back to what they were doing.  If you only call them when you want to go in they may not be ready or view it as a punishment, thus not listen.

As far as barking, she is trying to commumicate something to you, that get more difficult.  May just be trial and error to see what is going on with that.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Re: Couple issues with dog

[ Edited ]