Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I have to add...........Eight yrs later, I  still struggle with doing this .I sometimes think ,I was so afraid he was gonna die that I killed him!    

I was devestated over it for a very long time and needed meds. from my Dr.

The only thing that saved me was immediately  getting my Beloved little Maltie,that it took me a whole yr to love ( but kept me so busy I couldn't think) and has become after a year of struggling, the love of my life.  <3

@MalteseMomma  I'm sure you did the right thing for your baby. When I read your first post it brought tears to my eyes.  Your love for him was so obvious.

@NickNack  Thank you so much for your kind remarks  <3

Super Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I have to add...........Eight yrs later, I  still struggle with doing this .I sometimes think ,I was so afraid he was gonna die that I killed him!    

I was devestated over it for a very long time and needed meds. from my Dr.

The only thing that saved me was immediately  getting my Beloved little Maltie,that it took me a whole yr to love ( but kept me so busy I couldn't think) and has become after a year of struggling, the love of my life.  <3

Please don't beat yourself up.  I think you knew when it was time, and you did the right thing.  We did with our lab.  We made him a promise that we would not let him live one day longer than he could comfortably.  We did not do any additional testing to verify we were making the right decision.  We just knew.  He lived a very long, full life.  Our vet agreed with our decision.  We had the option of an autopsy to confirm, but that was not necessary.  We were happy we kept the promise we made to him.  

Then there is the opposite:

My MIL was afraid to let her dog go, so she ignored the situation. He wasted away to skin and bones.  He needed pain meds daily just to move.  He started peeing and defecating on himself.  She had been able to get refills for a while without taking the dog in because of his limited movement, so they did not know how much the dog had deteriorated. The downward spiral went on for one year.  It got to the point that I couldn't even look at him anymore.  One night, the pain meds weren't working and she sat up with him all night while he cried.  She didn't even take him to the emergency vet.  She waited until her regular vet opened.  She was still struggling to make that final decision.  When she finally got to the vet's office, her vet ripped into her.  He told her she was guilty of animal abuse.  She kept the poor dog alive for her own selfish reasons.  He definately got through to her.  She felt terrible and actually told us what he said.  She has sworn she will never do anything like that again.  That remains to be seen, but I hope she never lets an animal suffer like that again.

Contributor

@MalteseMomma  You stated exactly how I feel about having to put down my beloved husky, Bandit a little over 3 months ago.  I still question myself and cry all the time.  We have had to make this very difficult decision before , and while each time my heart was broken as I loved Buster and Brock as much, I can't seem to get past this one. Thanks for listening.  Sympathies to all who have been through this pain and I appreciate being able to express myself on this forum as everyone here is so kind. 

Esteemed Contributor

$700 for euthanasia and cremation is what we paid for our Darcy.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Contributor

Sorry, forgot to add we paid about $540.00

Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@goldensrbest  We have usually paid $100.  That is taking the pet to the vet (after hours where he always came out to our car - we are in a country setting) or once, coming to our house.  There was no way we could get our guy in the car.  The vet came out before his office opened and did it in the living room.  I can hardly stand writing about this......it comes back so clear.  Anyway, the vet helped DH get him into our wheel barrel and take him out to the grave that DH had dug previously.  Again, the vet helped to lay him in the ground.  We have been blessed to be able to bury all of our dogs together on our property.  We even have my sister's sweet dog buried there.  I have never asked about cremation so I can't offer anything there. 

I know that these are tough, bittersweet days for you, @goldensrbest.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

This is a picture where all of our sweet babies are resting.

20170705_110137 (1).jpeg

Your babies are resting comfortably.  Such a beautiful area. '

Wishing all of you peace. 

Trusted Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I agree i want only his ashes,when it is time ,that is what we have always done in the past,to have a vet come to the house, it is $600  so just checking ,i know he can not make it once the snow starts falling,with his failing back legs.

@goldensrbest I am so sorry to hear about this. 

As they say..The worst part about having a pet...Thinking of you with only good thoughts.

Respected Contributor
I paid $200 for my Lab. Angels at The End came to my house. Also for my Kitty, paid $160...we are fortunate to be able to bury our pets on my property. Kitty HATED going to the vet, always a big fight and ordeal, so I was very thankful to have him stay home where he was most content.
As for my Lab, he was the most special creation I've ever encountered...and my husband's beloved buddy and pal. Hubby told me, he would probably die of a heart attack if we had to make that dreaded drive...so, again, so thankful to have him stay right here at home. Sadest day of my life. Miss him every single day!
My sincere condolences for those of you that have to face this.
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin, we did the same with our lovely yellow Lab Millie.  Such a wonderful gift for our pets.  We had the vet give her something to make her sleep and then euthanized her.  She was truly a gem.  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Cost of euthanasia

[ Edited ]

It has been awhile since I had a dog ( I do love all animals but just have cats right now)......

For a cat at my vet here in south Texas I paid $45 for euthanization and $50 for cremation .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”