Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cost of a Dental for a cat?

@on the bay wrote:

@CrazyDaisy,

Can I ask if you have a pet?

In all fairness, just like doctors, there are vets and then there are vets.

I think we all have instincts just like our best animal friends about whether to trust or like our vets.

If I didn't feel comfortable with my vet, I would keep trying (and have) to find one I did.

Fortunately, we really liked almost all of our vets that we had throughout the years. 

I've also found that most good vets will not recommend putting older animals under anesthesia unless absolutely a life saving procedure.

Yes I do have pets, all my life.  I agree that it is important to have trust and a good relationship with your vet, just as you do with your doctors. I have had to have conversations with vets concerning the costs of treatments vs the long term results.  That is not an easy one since everyone wants to keep their pets as long as possible.  

Vets are expensive, you know that and they know that.  Prevention is key in pets as much as it is with people.  If you don't want to pay or cannot afford them, there are low cost clinics for routine vaccinations.  You cannot get Cadillac care on a shoestring budget.

Bottom line find a vet you trust and have honest discussions with them if concerned about the cost.  There may be other options..  Don't expect them to work for free, they have busineses to run and families to feed.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Love4cats - I'm glad you got a much lower invoice price for your cat's dental work.  It doesn't sound as if it's just a straight-forward cleaning.  Are there going to be any extractions involved?

We had a cat (sadly gone now) who was a rescue and had terrible peridontal issues.  We had to have her teeth cleaned and some extracted a couple of times as the disease progressed.  Our costs were similar to your reduced invoice amount.

There may have been many reasons why you were given the very high estimate to begin with.  It may have just been a simple mistake!  If you've been with your vet for 25 years and trust him/her, I'd always discuss the matter first and ask for an explanation.

Good luck with your kitty!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 - Not all vets are money grabbers, just as not all doctors or dentists are.

We haven't ever had the experiences you mention and we've been taking our animals to the vet for decades.  In all that time, we had one bad vet; she wasn't a money grabber - just incompetent, as we found out.  (She later had a breakdown, so something else was going on.)

We recently had to find a new vet for our three cats, as our previous one retired.  We went into the exam room with one of our cats and met the vet.  We had a very pleasant talk while she examined him and administered his rabies vaccination.  She gave him the three-year, saying it wasn't necessary to have it done every year and, in fact, wasn't a good idea.

So, yes, COVID has caused some issues where for a while you weren't allowed to go into the surgery with your animal, but we can now, as long as we agree to wear a mask.

I personally don't want to live in a world with no vets to care for my animals.  Finding one you're happy with - and there are many reputable vets - is essential.

Esteemed Contributor

Vet charges vary a great deal depending on where you live.  I had a girlfriend who brought her dog to my small town for dental because the charge was $300 here and $900 in Phoenix, where she lived. The distance was 180 mi.  Also many vets offer Care Credit on bills over a couple hundred.  Care Credit allows you to pay over one-two years without any interest.  If your Veterinarian offers it you can apply and get approved on the spot at their office.

Honored Contributor

@Love4cats    I paid $200 for a cleaning for my cat but that was over 15 years ago.  Inquire about pet insurance and find out if the insurance starts immediately or is there a waiting period.  Your vet is very high priced.  I hope you can find someone more reasonable.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@Love4cats - I'm glad you got a much lower invoice price for your cat's dental work.  It doesn't sound as if it's just a straight-forward cleaning.  Are there going to be any extractions involved?

We had a cat (sadly gone now) who was a rescue and had terribleperidontall issues.  We had to have her teeth cleaned and some extracted a couple of times as the disease progressed.  Our costs were similar to your reduced invoice amount.

There may have been many reasons why you were given the very high estimate to begin with.  It may have just been a simple mistake!  If you've been with your vet for 25 years and trust him/her, I'd always discuss the matter first and ask for an explanation.

Good luck with your kitty!

Hi, 

For my kitty I brought in Thursday I did not ask for an estimate because I assumed it would be about what it was in 2019. While my kitty was in for the dental they e.mailed an estimate for the kitty going in next Thursday for the same procedure. Normally when I drop my kitty off they have me sign an estimate, for some reason they did not and I did'nt even think about. When I got the e.mail estimate I was shocked, but was pleasantly surprised when I got the bill. No extration's were needed I love my Vet and his staff, my Vet always call's me to let me to give me update's during appointments and his staff is amazing.

Honored Contributor

We have our dog's teeth cleaned every 6 months & it's $160.00

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SurferWife - Dogs can generally have their teeth cleaned without being sedated.  Cats not so much!  Personally, one of my cats would rip the vet's arm off, if he tried to do it without sedation.

I'm just thinking that may be a big part of the difference in cost.  Woman Very Happy 

(However, I've only had to have any of my cats' teeth cleaned, when there was a peridontal issue and that also involves more expense.)

Super Contributor

@Love4cats wrote:

I have been going to the same Vet for 25 year's. The last time I had one of my cat's in for a Dental (which was 3 year's ago) the cost was around 750.00. I just got an estimate for a Dental for one a my cat's and the estimate was $1,200.00 on the low end and $1,700.00 on the high end, I live in Maine. Does that seem absurdly high to anyone. I was shocked. TIA

I don't know what you call Dental?  Is it just a cleaning or major issues?  A cleaning is around $300.  Major Dental issues can cost a fortune.  Some veterinarians charge way more than others.  Might be time for a second opinion?

Valued Contributor

@TW wrote:

@Love4cats wrote:

I have been going to the same Vet for 25 year's. The last time I had one of my cat's in for a Dental (which was 3 year's ago) the cost was around 750.00. I just got an estimate for a Dental for one a my cat's and the estimate was $1,200.00 on the low end and $1,700.00 on the high end, I live in Maine. Does that seem absurdly high to anyone. I was shocked. TIA

I don't know what you call Dental?  Is it just a cleaning or major issues?  A cleaning is around $300.  Major Dental issues can cost a fortune.  Some veterinarians charge way more than others.  Might be time for a second opinion?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. The dental was the basic, scaling (not sure that's the correct term) and polishing. No extraction's were needed, thank goodness for my kitty's sake, hate to see them lose teeth. As I mentioned I was pleasantly surprised when I got the final bill, it was only around $796.00 for each kitty and included a lion cut on both. They are so handsome with their new hair cut.