Respected Contributor

Re: Cost of a Dental for a cat?

That sounds VERY high!  I asked my vet what he charges for cleaning my Golden Retriever's teeth.  He said, "Peggy, her teeth don't need cleaning."  I think most vets, unfortunately, would jump at the chance to make $$.  My vet is Dr. John Robb (protect the pets dot com).

If you live in or around CT, he's a vet to be trusted.  One of his main concerns is over vaccination of pets.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yep, it surely does seem absurdly high.  I've been on a rant recently about vets and their money grabs, but this takes the cake.  Shop around.

Medical care for both people and pets is expensive.  Vets are doctors with the same expenses as a people doctor.  Can't afford to take care of your pet, don't get one.  

CRAZYDAISY, I don't need your nasty remark and nobody else does either. I LOVE my cat's and give them the best food I can find regardless of the cost. I have 4 cat's and spend $300.00 a month to feed them, and have no problem with that to keep them happy and healthy. So for you to say "Can't afford to take care of your pet's, don't get one" is just a nasty, rude thing to say.I brought one of my cat's in today for his shot's, check up, dental and a lion cut. I spare no expense for my cat's, to me they are family. I am bringing in another cat in next Thursday for the same thing's. I was just getting other's thought's on this forum about the cost. The same visit for the above was around $450.00 in 2019, which is why I was so shocked. You must be just one big ray of sunshine to be around.                                                                                                     

To all of the other's that replied Thank You, I appreciate the feed back. I did get a much lower price when I got the invoice,  it was itemized and the cost for everything was $796 and change which I thought was very reasonable. I have no idea why the estimate was so high but I was pleasantly surprised.

Honored Contributor

This is what I found online about what a proper dental cleaning entails.  It is from VCA Animal Hospital.  It also explains why it can't be done correctly without anesthesia.

What happens during a professional dental cleaning visit for my dog?

A dental cleaning visit will include a thorough dental examination, teeth cleaning, and polishing to remove the tartar and periodontal disease-causing plaque. This is done while your dog is under general anesthesia. Once anesthetized, your veterinarian with the help of veterinary assistants will thoroughly examine the mouth, noting abnormalities in the medical record. A dental probe will be used to evaluate gum bleeding and periodontal pockets where food can accumulate and decay if not properly cared for.

When periodontal disease is advanced, it may not be possible to save the badly affected teeth, which may need to be extracted either during the procedure or at a later time.

"For proper dental care your dog
will be placed under general anesthesia."

Moderate stomatitis in a Carin Terrier

The treatment your dog may require will be discussed with you after the cleaning once each tooth and the gums have been checked. Since it can be difficult to predict the extent of dental disease in advance of the procedure, your veterinarian may contact you during the procedure to discuss any additional treatment that may be necessary.

How are my dog's teeth cleaned?

After a thorough examination of your dog’s mouth, tooth scaling will be performed, using both hand and ultrasonic scalers to remove plaque and tartar above and below the gum line. The tartar below the gum line causes the most significant periodontal disease, so it is important that it be thoroughly removed.

After scaling, the teeth are polished to remove microscopic scratches and decrease the rate of subsequent plaque build-up.

Moderate stomatitis in a Carin Terrier

Why can't plaque and tartar be removed with a human dental scaler?

Although you can remove some of the accumulated plaque and tartar above the gum line in dogs that are cooperative, there are four problems with doing this:

• Only the visible tartar above the gum line is removed. This leaves the plaque and tartar below the gum line which will continue to cause periodontal problems.
  • It is neither possible nor safe to clean the inner surfaces of the teeth properly in a conscious dog.
  • The use of any instrument on the tooth enamel will cause microscopic scratches on the surface which will ultimately damage the tooth surface, leading to further disease - this is the reason your dental hygienist always polishes your teeth after removing tartar with dental instruments.
  • If your dog moves suddenly the sharp instrument may cut the gums causing pain and bleeding.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@spent2much,

What a wonderful vet! That is the kind to have!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Love4cats wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Yep, it surely does seem absurdly high.  I've been on a rant recently about vets and their money grabs, but this takes the cake.  Shop around.

Medical care for both people and pets is expensive.  Vets are doctors with the same expenses as a people doctor.  Can't afford to take care of your pet, don't get one.  

CRAZYDAISY, I don't need your nasty remark and nobody else does either. I LOVE my cat's and give them the best food I can find regardless of the cost. I have 4 cat's and spend $300.00 a month to feed them, and have no problem with that to keep them happy and healthy. So for you to say "Can't afford to take care of your pet's, don't get one" is just a nasty, rude thing to say.I brought one of my cat's in today for his shot's, check up, dental and a lion cut. I spare no expense for my cat's, to me they are family. I am bringing in another cat in next Thursday for the same thing's. I was just getting other's thought's on this forum about the cost. The same visit for the above was around $450.00 in 2019, which is why I was so shocked. You must be just one big ray of sunshine to be around.                                                                                                     

To all of the other's that replied Thank You, I appreciate the feed back. I did get a much lower price when I got the invoice,  it was itemized and the cost for everything was $796 and change which I thought was very reasonable. I have no idea why the estimate was so high but I was pleasantly surprised.

My comment was not directed at you and it is not nasy or rude.  Having a pet is expensive.  If you are not willing to provide the best medical care you can afford then you should not get one.  To CONSTANTLY complain and throw out untrue comments about the cost is absurd.  Obviously someone who is unaware of the cost of things.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

That sounds VERY high!  I asked my vet what he charges for cleaning my Golden Retriever's teeth.  He said, "Peggy, her teeth don't need cleaning."  I think most vets, unfortunately, would jump at the chance to make $$.  My vet is Dr. John Robb (protect the pets dot com).

If you live in or around CT, he's a vet to be trusted.  One of his main concerns is over vaccination of pets.

@spent2much   My Vet has also told me when my pets didn't need dentals.  Also, when one of my dogs was 13 and had heart disease, she told me that he did need a dental but she wouldn't recommend it at his age with his heart issues.  She did them when necessary.

I wish everyone here had a Vet they could trust.  Some of you seem to have such bad feelings about your Vets and Vets in general I just don't understand it.  I've always considered my Vet a partner in my pet's care.  I trust her completely.  I also trust the other Vets in that practice.  I've been to excellent specialty Vets, too.

When my Vet wasn't allowing clients in the clinic during the initial outbreak of Covid, she would call me after the exam while my dog was still with her.  She talked with me for almost 30 minutes one time.  She would go over everything with me and answer my questions.  I hated not being able to go in (my dog was very sick), but did feel like she got a good exam.

Vets go to school the same length of time as medical doctors.  They have tremendous office expenses for equipment and staff.  They don't get paid by insurance companies like medical doctors do, so their clients have to pay them.  I don't consider their charges a "money grab" at all.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy    Nonsense.  Vets now can't even be bothered to meet the owner.  I'm supposed to sit it my car while they supposedly give my dogs exams and shots, then charge me $400 for $100 worth of vaccinations.  I can just imagine what kind of exam they do with no one to watch them.  They won't give shots without the money grabbing "exam".  They've got a racket going and they just rake in the $$$$.  I've never even met the vet who's now at the clinic where I've always gone.  You'd think she could walk 30ft out to the car....or invite me in.  Won't go back.

🙄

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy,

Can I ask if you have a pet?

In all fairness, just like doctors, there are vets and then there are vets.

I think we all have instincts just like our best animal friends about whether to trust or like our vets.

If I didn't feel comfortable with my vet, I would keep trying (and have) to find one I did.

Fortunately, we really liked almost all of our vets that we had throughout the years. 

I've also found that most good vets will not recommend putting older animals under anesthesia unless absolutely a life saving procedure.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Love4cats wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

My comment was not directed at you and it is not nasty or rude.  Having a pet is expensive.  If you are not willing to provide the best medical care you can afford then you should not get one.  To CONSTANTLY complain and throw out untrue comments about the cost is absurd.  Obviously someone who is unaware of the cost of things.

God, you really are a nasty rude person. Don't know what you mean about "untrue" comments. I have the written typed estimate, why are you saying that I am making "untrue" comments? There is something seriously wrong with you, just a nasty, rude person. 

Honored Contributor

@Love4cats wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Love4cats wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

My comment was not directed at you and it is not nasty or rude.  Having a pet is expensive.  If you are not willing to provide the best medical care you can afford then you should not get one.  To CONSTANTLY complain and throw out untrue comments about the cost is absurd.  Obviously someone who is unaware of the cost of things.

God, you really are a nasty rude person. Don't know what you mean about "untrue" comments. I have the written typed estimate, why are you saying that I am making "untrue" comments? There is something seriously wrong with you, just a nasty, rude person. 

@Love4cats   I'm pretty sure @CrazyDaisy  was not referring to you when mentioning the "untrue comments."

-Henry David Thoreau