Respected Contributor

That is very high. I had a poodle who had bad teeth. All the dental cleanings were closer to $400-500.  Vet offices can really price-gouge sometimes. I am in process of changing too, same reason! 

Honored Contributor

Dental cleanings are a huge money maker for vets.  I've never been to one that didn't push it.  I was quoted the price of $800. for an old Sheltie.  I almost choked at that.  It seems the older the dog, the more expensive.

The simple occasion of getting shots has also become an occasion for gouging.  By the time they get examined, get the shots and the mandatory heartworm test, I've paid almost $1,000 for 4 healthy dogs.  Now I have 3 young, healthy dogs and I'm going to patronize low-cost shot clinics.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Just to add... I’ve gotten my dog used to brushing her teeth. We have a routine and, she loves the dental poultry paste by Sentry.  I let her lick some, then I use a baby toothbrush to do all over especially the back areas. She won’t let me touch under her nose though... Then she gets more Sentry stuff. We finish with this gel/ oil from Petzlife that helps coat teeth so plaque doesn’t stick.  Great stuff. 

It takes 3 minutes and her teeth are in great shape!  No dental cleanings needed.  It’s all in the positive training!  I think she loves having cleaned teeth now-    Try it! Hope it helps... 💝 Skye and Her Mom

Valued Contributor

Re: Cost of Doggie Dental

[ Edited ]

That $ does seem pretty expensive.  I love in CA and it’s about 1/2 that.  My boy is 15 .My vet also recommended a cleaning but and I’m not about to have him put under at this stage of his life (although it’s safe). 

Im going the other route where they clean while awake.  I get it done twice a year for him

Esteemed Contributor

@meem120

You should report this VET --- SCAMMER!!!! We never think of dentists, doctors, vets as SCAMMERS - but there are many out there.

Honored Contributor

Our Vet did a hard sell about getting our dog's teeth cleaned. The estimate was at least $650. At the time he was a relatively new rescue. He was just neutered, was being treated for lymes disease, he was allergic to fleas and lost half of his undercoat, had ear mites and was given just about every shot to become current with his shots. He was one sick fellow for several months. And the antibiotics for lymes disease gave him convulsions.

We could not see having the dog go through the stress of being knocked out at that time. He was still having a hard time keeping his food down. We just thought the dog had been through so much.

Well, it turns out, that he doesn't have much teeth anyway. He must have been kept in a cage much of the time before we got him. He has no teeth in the front and his jaw is worn down from the metal cage. 

I read an article in the Vet's office of all places. The article said that putting the dogs under anesthesia was a new ruling by the Vet Association. Vets used to clean the dog's teeth like clipping their nails. And the article was saying how risky putting dogs under could be especially for older dogs. They were also saying how they thought it was rather costly and was the cost really worth it. 

I would like to get his teeth done but I think $650 is alot for the few teeth he does have.

Honored Contributor

I know that February is dental health month for dogs and in my area, most vets give a discount in the month of February for dental work. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with Skyegirl on teethbrushing. I know it is after the fact but very preventive. I have had two Labs that would actually lift their lips for me to brush. I use a travel tooth brush in a case free from my dentist and Doggy toothpaste. I do it several times a week and it helps, no dental issues. A treat after is nice.