Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Have you tried catnip?

DD ended up sprinkling their scratching posts with catnip and those guys are instantly calmed down, rubbing their faces/bodies in it, drooling the whole time, LOL!

They're so mellow, they look like they smoked a big ol' joint, LOL!

@KingstonsMom 

When we first got her I had some catnip, just a little bit, which I gave her and she lapped it up.  Subsequently I gave her some and she scratched like she wanted me to bury it.  But! I have learned she does that with all things new but later may take a likng to them so I will get her some catnip and try that. I don't want her sedated like a zombie, but I do want her to calm down somewhat. Sometimes she plays so hard for hours on end, that she just falls out and starts panting like a dog.

@Nonametoday   You said she lapped up the catnip.  You may already know this, but they aren't supposed to eat it.  You're supposed to rub it on their toys and/or scratching post.  It may not hurt them to eat it, but they need to smell it for it to work.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Have you tried catnip?

DD ended up sprinkling their scratching posts with catnip and those guys are instantly calmed down, rubbing their faces/bodies in it, drooling the whole time, LOL!

They're so mellow, they look like they smoked a big ol' joint, LOL!

@KingstonsMom 

When we first got her I had some catnip, just a little bit, which I gave her and she lapped it up.  Subsequently I gave her some and she scratched like she wanted me to bury it.  But! I have learned she does that with all things new but later may take a likng to them so I will get her some catnip and try that. I don't want her sedated like a zombie, but I do want her to calm down somewhat. Sometimes she plays so hard for hours on end, that she just falls out and starts panting like a dog.

@Nonametoday   You said she lapped up the catnip.  You may already know this, but they aren't supposed to eat it.  You're supposed to rub it on their toys and/or scratching post.  It may not hurt them to eat it, but they need to smell it for it to work.

@NickNack   Yes, I put it on her balls and she licked it off them.  Vet said it would not hurt her because it was a small amount.  She loved it.  Now she won't have anything to do with it or anything associated with it.  I have cat mint planted in my garden.  My other cats liked to wallow and play in it.  When spring comes, I am going to take her out to see if she likes it.  She is a little diva.