Respected Contributor

Re: Commercial "my buddy, my pal, my friend"

[ Edited ]

@DKNJ - Our best guess on Dusty's age is around 10.  The family who surrendered him gave no info.  I saw his photo posted (at least the shelter does try to get the animals adopted out) and he looked so sad.  Then I saw his photo over and over for a couple of weeks and I couldn't leave him there.  I took my other dogs with me to an adoption event to meet him to make sure everyone got along.  They did fine, but he seemed very groggy.  I didn't give it much thought as many older dogs don't do well in shelters and they get depressed.  Anyway, a few days after I adopted him, he had a seizure and then another and another.  The shelter had to know and didn't tell me either.

Anyway, we've had to adjust his meds often to keep his seizures to a minimum.  He's so sweet and gentle and I'm glad I rescued him.  Always hope I have these old guys for a long time, but for whatever time they have with me, I want them to know love and joy.  It's getting harder on my heart though every time I lose one.

Respected Contributor

Re: Commercial "my buddy, my pal, my friend"

@Mominohio wrote:

I have a real love hate relationship with this commercial.

It seems to have started airing in our area just as we had to put our 13 year old dog down this late summer from cancer. We had very little warning and he failed so fast. 

When that comes on, I just sob, even yet. It makes me miss him so, so much. But at the same time, I remember him so fondly, and wish we'd had enough warning to do a complete bucket list.

Once he was diagnosed, we only had a week or so with him, and we brought him home for a kind of mini bucket list time, and tried to do his favorite things, but he was already so weak. 

I can do without that commercial most days, but it reminds me to be sure to enjoy our pets and our people each and every day, and to work on those bucket lists.

I am so sorry for your loss. I do know how you feel. We just lost one a week before Christmas and even though we still have 2 dogs here it still reminds us when we see animal commercials. Just try and remember all the good times and love you both shared.