Honored Contributor

Commercial "my buddy, my pal, my friend"

Think it's a KIA commercial, but it's a guy and his dog and the guy is helping his dog with his "list". It's so cute. Sounds like country singer, Willie Nelson. Cute!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Commercial "my buddy, my pal, my friend"

I really love this commercial and I think the name of it is 'The Bucket List".

Respected Contributor

Yes, that is Willie, the song is "I've Loved You All Over The World"

That commercial makes me a bit teary thinking of my little buddy, now gone.

Honored Contributor

I have a real love hate relationship with this commercial.

It seems to have started airing in our area just as we had to put our 13 year old dog down this late summer from cancer. We had very little warning and he failed so fast. 

When that comes on, I just sob, even yet. It makes me miss him so, so much. But at the same time, I remember him so fondly, and wish we'd had enough warning to do a complete bucket list.

Once he was diagnosed, we only had a week or so with him, and we brought him home for a kind of mini bucket list time, and tried to do his favorite things, but he was already so weak. 

I can do without that commercial most days, but it reminds me to be sure to enjoy our pets and our people each and every day, and to work on those bucket lists.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh @Mominohio, I am so sorry for you.  Geeze, I cried so hard reading your post that I had to keep wiping my eyes and re-reading.  I can completely relate to the commercial thing.  

Back in 2006 they had this commercial where a woman was walking on the beach (I think) and they played the song with the lyrics "what are you doing for the rest of your life?"....... The music is slow and it can sound somewhat "haunting" depending on your situation, I guess.  I think it was a commercial for jewelry.

Anyway, my dog was dying of liver disease.  The day before we put him down, I spent hours and hours lying on the floor with him, petting him, hugging him, holding him.  All the while, the tv was on.  They showed this commercial over and over and over.  So, of course, that commercial reminds me of that day and of my dog.  Needless to say it's no longer on after all these years.  But I still think of it at times and, like you, I cry my eyes out.  

It's a pain that just never goes away.  

Edited to add:  My current dog just came over to comfort me because I'm crying so hard.  Awww.

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

Oh @Mominohio, I am so sorry for you.  Geeze, I cried so hard reading your post that I had to keep wiping my eyes and re-reading.  I can completely relate to the commercial thing.  

Back in 2006 they had this commercial where a woman was walking on the beach (I think) and they played the song with the lyrics "what are you doing for the rest of your life?"....... The music is slow and it can sound somewhat "haunting" depending on your situation, I guess.  I think it was a commercial for jewelry.

Anyway, my dog was dying of liver disease.  The day before we put him down, I spent hours and hours lying on the floor with him, petting him, hugging him, holding him.  All the while, the tv was on.  They showed this commercial over and over and over.  So, of course, that commercial reminds me of that day and of my dog.  Needless to say it's no longer on after all these years.  But I still think of it at times and, like you, I cry my eyes out.  

It's a pain that just never goes away.  

@Citrine1

Thanks for the support. I've lost other pets, and still cry for them, and will loose more in the future, but something keeps us going back for more. That unconditional love is unlike anything else in the world.

It's funny how music can elicit such emotion and memories for us. A song can take us to such a happy place, or take us to the depths of despair, depending on how it connects to events in our lives. 

I,too, had some time to have my boy at home, knowing the end was near, and lay with him and talk to him. And for that I'm grateful, and I know that you are as well. It makes the letting go easier than when a pet dies suddenly, with no time to say goodbye (I've had that happen too).

I'm sorry, too, for your loss. Even though it has been 10 years for you, and I'm sure most days you have happy memories, I know there are still those times that it just stabs you in the heart, without warning.  The only downside of having a beloved pet, is loosing them.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio Thank you for your sweet and thoughtful reply.  Yes, like you, I have loved and lost many dogs.  They bring us such happiness, but losing them is always so painful.  Each pet is unique and special.  

My current dog is a pistol!  He's a real handful right now (10 months old), but I know he will settle down and be the "best dog ever" eventually.  LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love that ad, but like others, it makes me cry.

The dog is the spittin image of one of my old guys.  I rescued him from a kill shelter 1 1/2 years ago.  His family surrendered him.  Grrr.  Turns out, he was epileptic.  Took us long time to get the right combination of meds to get his seizures under control, and my vet advised that his epilepsy was possibly caused by a brain tumor.

Well, he has really started deteriorating the past few months.  He's having problems with balance and coordination, but no signs of pain thankfully.

He's a big fella and with his issues, taking him to parks and things isn't really possible.  Have to be careful with food treats as his meds really require a strict diet.

What I do do for him and with him is hug on him and cuddle with him.  I got him a really great orthopedic bed, built like a mini sofa so he can lounge like a king.  I don't know what his life was like before I adopted him, but I've made sure he's known he's loved from the day I brought him home.

Oh, it's a Subaru ad.  Love their doggy oriented ads.

This is a still from the ad.

Dog-Selfie-630x404.jpg

This is my Dusty

dusty dawg.jpg

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buck-i-Nana, thank you for sharing your story and pictures of Dusty.  He is a beautiful dog and, I know pictures can be deceiving, but he looks pretty healthy and definitely happy.   Do you have any idea how old he is, and did you know he was epileptic before you adopted him?

P.S. - I just reread your post and now understand that these are pictures of two different dogs.  I absolutely thought that they were both of Dusty.

Also, thank you for taking in a sick dog and loving him so.

Esteemed Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana What a good pet parent you are!  You take such good care of your dog and provide him with everything he needs and more.  He's a very lucky dog to have been rescued by you!