Valued Contributor

What a cutie! My last day of work is Monday  - I'm 64  - and my BF has a crazy Siberian Husky. I think he might do well w/a companion dog and was looking at the NC collie rescue website today. But I really would like a Smooth Collie. Just a thought - no decisions right now. 

Have fun with the puppy!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

@drizzelllawrote:

Thank you for sharing that picture. It was so good to see him.

Collies are hard to find. I am so glad she found such a sweetheart. Enjoy your time together.

Our collie is going to be 10 years old in December. And we still feel sad when we leave him for a few hours to go grocery shopping etc. He looks at us with those big brown eyes and lets out a whimper.

@drizzellla. You speak the truth about collies becoming rare.  Our rescue group is about out of business.  We've just been getting very old dogs that people dump, and collie mixes.  My last collie died last May but I do have a Sheltie.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on this little sweetie.  My friend has had 2 other dogs from this breeder who were playmates to my collies.  They're both deceased now.

Our collie rescue group is running into a similar problem. They are getting serious heath issues or senior dogs. But not many of them. 

What kept our rescue group strong for many years - was a local collie breeder. Every time she sold a collie, she refused to take any money. She asked the people to contribute to Collie Rescue. But she no longer breeds collies. So I don't know of any breeders in the area.

They are a smart and loyal breed. Have fun with the new fellow. 

PS Did the dog come from California? That is where my brother got his collie.

Valued Contributor

That little guy is adorable!!  I am sorry to hear that Collies are rare now, they are such smart dogs and great with kids.  We had them when I was growing up so I have many fond memories of the breed.  

Honored Contributor

@CinNCwrote:

What a cutie! My last day of work is Monday  - I'm 64  - and my BF has a crazy Siberian Husky. I think he might do well w/a companion dog and was looking at the NC collie rescue website today. But I really would like a Smooth Collie. Just a thought - no decisions right now. 

Have fun with the puppy!

My brother had a smooth collie. He was such a sweetheart. He liked everyone and thought everyone liked him. My brother used to take him to the dog park and his collie was the social committee. He would greet everyone - dog and people. 

Enjoy your retirement. Our collie is thrilled that we are now home with him. And we certainly enjoy his company too.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @Kachina624, he is absolutely precious.  He looks very much like my current collie who is my fifth collie, but my first tri.  Beautiful animals, the rough coated collies.  

I, too, will be a new owner in about a month.  Our breeder had a litter of sable and whites in early February and my husband and I have decided that our current dog could use a "brother".  

You mention that this puppy is coming from one of the premier collie breeders in the world.  Are you able to say more about that?  I'm just curious.  Our collies have all been Tartansides.  The founder of Tartanside is well known in the industry.  

Wishing your friend lots of luck, love and licks from her new little guy!

Edited to add:  Myst is such a great name.  Especially for a tri color.

Honored Contributor

Aww!  He's so stinkin' cute! Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

He is just beautiful. 

Brings back many good memories of my Collie from years ago.

She was also a Tri and one of the smartest sweetest dogs I ever knew.  She looked just like your avatar @Kachina624.

I took her to an event out of state one year, I walked the legs off that dog and could not get her to use the restroom. 

She waited for 2 days until we got home.  I felt so bad but there were no ill effects from it.

Honored Contributor

@Lapdogwrote:

He is just beautiful. 

Brings back many good memories of my Collie from years ago.

She was also a Tri and one of the smartest sweetest dogs I ever knew.  She looked just like your avatar @Kachina624.

I took her to an event out of state one year, I walked the legs off that dog and could not get her to use the restroom. 

She waited for 2 days until we got home.  I felt so bad but there were no ill effects from it.

We had a similar experience. Our collie was a rescue. So he was fixed and treated at a Vet and we picked him up. That was the first we met him. So we walked him and nothing. Next day, we walked him, nothing. The President of Collie Rescue spent the entire evening with us. Nothing. So it was well over 32 hours - nothing. Finally it was past 9 PM and the President of Collie Rescue was leaving to go home.  We tried one final time - FINALLY! I think the dog went for 5 straight minutes. When they get their minds set on something - they are determined.

Esteemed Contributor

What a cute puppy.

Honored Contributor

@drizzelllawrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

@drizzelllawrote:

Collies are hard to find. I am so glad she found such a sweetheart. Enjoy your time together.

Our collie is going to be 10 years old in December. And we still feel sad when we leave him for a few hours to go grocery shopping etc. He looks at us with those big brown eyes and lets out a whimper.

@drizzellla. You speak the truth about collies becoming rare.  Our rescue group is about out of business.  We've just been getting very old dogs that people dump, and collie mixes.  My last collie died last May but I do have a Sheltie.

I can hardly wait to get my hands on this little sweetie.  My friend has had 2 other dogs from this breeder who were playmates to my collies.  They're both deceased now.

Our collie rescue group is running into a similar problem. They are getting serious heath issues or senior dogs. But not many of them. 

What kept our rescue group strong for many years - was a local collie breeder. Every time she sold a collie, she refused to take any money. She asked the people to contribute to Collie Rescue. But she no longer breeds collies. So I don't know of any breeders in the area.

@drizzelllawrote:

@Kachina624wrote:

@drizzelllawrote:

@drizzellla. This breeder used to be in the San Diego area but several years ago moved to Idaho.  Do you know who the breeder of your brothers dog was?   He arrived early today and after a little exploring at home, fell fast asleep.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment