Honored Contributor

Henry with his favorite toy--his blue bear made especially for kittens.  Unfortunately he's on his litter mat, but it was clean.

IMG_0306.JPG

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Boy, is that animal cute!

Valued Contributor

@NickNack   If Henry is going to be an indoor kitty exclusively and you like the collar, I don't see a problem, especially if it is a break-away collar which you stated it is.  It should break if there are any problems. The collar looks cute and I like the chambray!  If you are concerned, just remove the collar if you are not going to be home, and have him wear it when you are. 

Henry is gorgeous, or I should probably say handsome, given his male identity. Smiley Wink

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Honored Contributor

Thank you @CatLoverDogsToo!  Henry is a lot of fun.  Frankie is ready to be friends with him, but he's still leery of her, although he does get close to her face sometimes.  It still hasn't been a week yet since I brought him home, and he spent at least two days in a room by himself before he and Frankie were in the same room together.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

ABSOLUTELY NO COLLAR FOR A KITTEN. 

A kitten is too small and weak for a break-away to work. It's very easy for a kitten to get caught on something and choke or hang himself.  Kittens get into things faster than any toddler when you turn your back for one second. Also, as they hide, you don't know where they are or what trouble they're in. 

There's no reason for a collar at that young age. 

Be sure to get him chipped when the vet says he's old enough. 

@LinaL I couldn't agree more with this !! We had gotten 2 kittens for our children back in the 70's. One of the sweet babies climbed up a bush and got the collar caught and he hung himself. I'm still not over it. Finding him was the worst thing ever !!

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

@NickNack

My Bogey is chipped AND wears a collar with his tag on it (name & my phone #).  Vet said wearing a collar is good for instant ID if he got out ....  taking an animal to get checked for a chip is not something everyone will do.  If he's just out in the neighborhood, I can be called.  Since he's an indoor cat, he's not familiar to anyone.

The collar is breakaway and has a little bell, so with the tag & the bell clinking against each other, although it is subtle, I know when he comes into the room.  

Bogey is a door dasher ..... but this is new, only beginning about a year ago.    I've never had a problem with the breakaway collar, and still am not sure how the leg would get caught in a collar!    

Honored Contributor

None of my cats wear collars of any type. I did buy collars years ago for my cats back when I only had two and they never managed to stay on for more than 3 minutes. Insert paw, push, collar gone. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@LinaL wrote:

@sandraskates wrote:

@LinaL- they velcro on. Never had a single problem with them and our cats have lost them around the yard on occasion.

I don't think the rescue organization that runs the thrift shop would sell them if they were dangerous.

(my bold) That's, simply, not true. There are plenty of ignorant, well-intentioned people and organizations. 

There are plenty of articles and websites. T

Also, please note, collars ARE NOT recommended for kittens under 5 or 6 months. 

ITA every collar comes with a risk and you can not rely on any business or organization to sell 100% safe products.

My dogs don't even wear collars or harnesses unless we're taking them off our property and my cats never wear collars. My one door dasher cat, he only goes out the back door   never the front and I always just follow him until he lets me catch him. He doesn't get past me very often. 

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

The reason Frankie doesn't wear a collar unless we're going out is that she got her leg caught inside it one time.  I was home at the time, thank goodness, and found her.  I had forgotten about this when it came time to buy Henry a collar.  I don't think I'll put one on him, at least not now.  I agree it would be easier for a fireman to grab hold of Frankie if she had a collar on, but I wouldn't want her leg to get stuck in it again.

When looking at collars for Henry, I also read several articles about not buying stretchy collars for cats because they were dangerous.

The chances of another foot getting caught are higher than you ever needing a fire rescue person to catch your cat. I think you're making the right decision to not use a collar.