Regular Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

Our 3 cats all wear Beastie Bands collars and have tags (in addition to their microchips). I buy them at a thrift store dedicated to helping feral cats but they are also sold in some pet stores and online.

They can be cut down to size, although I'm not sure if they go small enough for kittens. They stretch so if the cat gets caught on something they can wiggle out.

They are also very long lasting. . .and cute!!

(my bold)

Actually, the stretch ones are the most dangerous. 

Trusted Contributor

@LinaL- they velcro on. Never had a single problem with them and our cats have lost them around the yard on occasion.

I don't think the rescue organization that runs the thrift shop would sell them if they were dangerous.

Regular Contributor

Re: Collars For Kittens?

[ Edited ]

@sandraskates wrote:

@LinaL- they velcro on. Never had a single problem with them and our cats have lost them around the yard on occasion.

I don't think the rescue organization that runs the thrift shop would sell them if they were dangerous.

(my bold) That's, simply, not true. There are plenty of ignorant, well-intentioned people and organizations. 

There are plenty of articles and websites. T

Also, please note, collars ARE NOT recommended for kittens under 5 or 6 months. 

Honored Contributor

The reason Frankie doesn't wear a collar unless we're going out is that she got her leg caught inside it one time.  I was home at the time, thank goodness, and found her.  I had forgotten about this when it came time to buy Henry a collar.  I don't think I'll put one on him, at least not now.  I agree it would be easier for a fireman to grab hold of Frankie if she had a collar on, but I wouldn't want her leg to get stuck in it again.

When looking at collars for Henry, I also read several articles about not buying stretchy collars for cats because they were dangerous.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

The only tme my cats wore collars is when they traveled.  Both microchipped but I wanted something visible if they got out of the carrier.  I leave the collar clipped to the handle of the carrier so I can find it when I want it. Baby cats can get into too much trouble to be wearing a collar.

Super Contributor

Our cat never got his leg caught in his collar, however, he did get his lower jaw stuck, i guess trying to chew i, luckily we were home when that happened.  He was young at the time and was quite the curious, nosey and smart little guy we had ever had.  The collar was a breakaway type and he figured out how to pop the plastic clip and take it off.  This time, however, it didn't open and he got stuck.  We found, as he got bigger, and wanting a collar on him, we started using a thin dog collar.  We also got him used to a harness and leash since he loves to sit on our deck with us but knows he needs his leash to do that.  Just mention going on the deck, let's get your leash and he comes over and sits till he is attached.  it also makes it easier to catch him when needing to go to vet. It used to be an exhausting chase before, now we just attach the leash to the collar, if he runs, step on end of leash.  I would refrain from using a collar on a kitten but introduce it a little at a time and see how he/she handles it as it grows.

Regular Contributor

@cookie16 wrote:

Our cat never got his leg caught in his collar, however, he did get his lower jaw stuck, i guess trying to chew i, luckily we were home when that happened.  He was young at the time and was quite the curious, nosey and smart little guy we had ever had.  The collar was a breakaway type and he figured out how to pop the plastic clip and take it off.  This time, however, it didn't open and he got stuck.  We found, as he got bigger, and wanting a collar on him, we started using a thin dog collar.  We also got him used to a harness and leash since he loves to sit on our deck with us but knows he needs his leash to do that.  Just mention going on the deck, let's get your leash and he comes over and sits till he is attached.  it also makes it easier to catch him when needing to go to vet. It used to be an exhausting chase before, now we just attach the leash to the collar, if he runs, step on end of leash.  I would refrain from using a collar on a kitten but introduce it a little at a time and see how he/she handles it as it grows.

(my bold)

I was going to mention a harness. I do the same as you. 

Honored Contributor

Do what's most comfortable and least worrisome for you.

But it's good that you'll get the vet's expert opinion, too.

All of my kitties have been indoors-only and never wore collars, but I now wish they had just in case the unexpected happened.

Microchipping is most important though, just as you've done with Frankie and will do for Henry.  

Love the collar style, plus the denim fabrications and colors. 8)

Respected Contributor

I've never put collars on any of my cats, since they've all been indoor animals, except the one I'd take for walks. I put a Zack & Zoey dog halter on her (nicer than the strap variety) with a leash on it, and off we'd go into the back. I no longer have that property mowed, and am wary of the problems of walking a hilly, hole-riven country property, so no more cat walks. The cat is 9 now and sleeps most of the day anyway now.

I agree with all here that microchipping is the best way to protect against loss. Microchips can't fall off and they can't trap a cat's leg or jaw.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @feline groovy and @noodleann.  I've decided not to put the collar on him.  I guess there is too much risk of his leg or teeth/mouth getting stuck in it.  I'll just have to put him up whenever I answer the door.

He had his first Vet appt. today and second set of vaccinations.  The Vet thought he looked great, of course.  She doesn't want to microchip him until she neuters him.  I can get him neutered as early as four months old if I want to.  I've always waited until six months old, but I really want to have him microchipped so may do it sooner this time.  He goes back in three weeks for his last vaccinations.  He meowed all the way there and back.

I just got back from running errands, and I think Henry is asleep in his room.  When he wakes up I'm going to put Frankie on a leash again and let him out.  I'll take her off the leash in a few days and let them really meet face to face and see how it goes.  I'll bet they'll be fast friends.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau