Honored Contributor

Collars For Kittens?

[ Edited ]

I ordered a collar for Henry from Etsy before I got him.  I also got him a tag.  I was going to put the collar on him, but when my friend saw it she saw it was adjusted to be so much smaller that he could catch his leg in it and break it.  I was disappointed, because my cats have always worn collars.  This is an adjustable break-away collar.  I'm attaching a picture of it.  I got him the gray chambray.  What do you all think about what my friend said about getting his leg caught in it?  I will get him microchipped, too, when my Vet says it's okay, and he will never go outside.  I just want to take precautions just in case.  It's a 6" to 9" collar, and I probably have it adjusted for him to 7" with 2" left over.

il_570xN.1016367050_50be.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My cats have all been 100% inside and haven't worn collars.  But being a kitten you might want to have him wear it for awhile to see if he's a "door dasher" and might get out.  But my dog wears her collar all the time, which has her tags on it.   

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

My cats have all been 100% inside and haven't worn collars.  But being a kitten you might want to have him wear it for awhile to see if he's a "door dasher" and might get out.  But my dog wears her collar all the time, which has her tags on it.   

@Catty2  That's what I thought about having him wear it in case he slipped out the door.  My friend had a point about getting his leg caught in the overlap, though, so I wasn't sure.  Frankie, my dog, only wears her collar when we go out.  I can open the door and she'll stand right there with me while it's open and never try to go out.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My current four cats are indoor cats, so they've never worn collars.

A friend of mine asked me to look after her cat for a couple of nights while she was away and I was happy to do it.  Her cat wasn't the type to jump up in just anybody's lap or even socialize with them, so I wasn't surprised when I went round the first night to feed him and sit with him.  He didn't move off the spot on the couch and at first I didn't think anything of it, but then I knew something just didn't "seem right".

So I walked over to him and he still didn't move.  On inspection, I found he had somehow gotten his front leg caught up in his collar and he couldn't move.  I was able to get his leg free, but I dreaded how he would've suffered, if I hadn't gone round, when I did.  I made sure to check on him a few more times while she was away and told her, as soon as she got back.

If your cat is going to wear a collar, you're wise to do as you have done, and make sure it's a break-away style and also that the fit is correct.  Even when my previous cats were outdoors, I never put a collar on them for fear of it getting caught on something.

Valued Contributor

You will probably spend as much time as possible with your kitten. It is good for them to get used to collars, harnesses, etc when they are young. As a compromise, if you are worried, you could take the collar off if you will not be home for an extended time. If the kitten does not scratch the collar or struggle to remove it, it will probably be ok. Just make sure it is not too loose. If it is, get a ribbon or thin kitten collar that is smaller until he grows into it. 

Enjoy your our new baby! They are such fun!

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

My current four cats are indoor cats, so they've never worn collars.

A friend of mine asked me to look after her cat for a couple of nights while she was away and I was happy to do it.  Her cat wasn't the type to jump up in just anybody's lap or even socialize with them, so I wasn't surprised when I went round the first night to feed him and sit with him.  He didn't move off the spot on the couch and at first I didn't think anything of it, but then I knew something just didn't "seem right".

So I walked over to him and he still didn't move.  On inspection, I found he had somehow gotten his front leg caught up in his collar and he couldn't move.  I was able to get his leg free, but I dreaded how he would've suffered, if I hadn't gone round, when I did.  I made sure to check on him a few more times while she was away and told her, as soon as she got back.

If your cat is going to wear a collar, you're wise to do as you have done, and make sure it's a break-away style and also that the fit is correct.  Even when my previous cats were outdoors, I never put a collar on them for fear of it getting caught on something.

That is  so scary @Venezia!  I'm glad you were there to rescue him.  Maybe I shouldn't put a collar on Henry.  Getting his leg stuck hadn't occurred to me until my friend mentioned it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Re: Collars For Kittens?

[ Edited ]

ABSOLUTELY NO COLLAR FOR A KITTEN. 

A kitten is too small and weak for a break-away to work. It's very easy for a kitten to get caught on something and choke or hang himself.  Kittens get into things faster than any toddler when you turn your back for one second. Also, as they hide, you don't know where they are or what trouble they're in. 

There's no reason for a collar at that young age. 

Be sure to get him chipped when the vet says he's old enough. 

Honored Contributor

I keep collars with ID tags on both my dogs plus they're "chipped" even though neither is a door dasher.  It just gives me peace of mind knowing I've done everything possible to get them back if they ever became lost. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

You could put the collar on the kitten while you are there, so, that when he is older he will be used to a collar when you are ready form him to wear one full time.  He won't have to freak out as a bigger cat.

About Frankie's collar.......If there is a fire, God forbid, it might be safer for Frankie for a Fireman to grab her to safety with a collar.

I have trouble getting around, so I have leashes placed in several areas in my home so, I could hopefully have better control of my two if we need to leave.

Please be careful of something on the other side of that open door that would make Frankie leave you, for it. 

Never is a big word.

IMHO only for the care and concern for your furkids.

Trusted Contributor

Our 3 cats all wear Beastie Bands collars and have tags (in addition to their microchips). I buy them at a thrift store dedicated to helping feral cats but they are also sold in some pet stores and online.

They can be cut down to size, although I'm not sure if they go small enough for kittens. They stretch so if the cat gets caught on something they can wiggle out.

They are also very long lasting. . .and cute!!