Trusted Contributor

@LilLadyNJ - Harness. Bet you can't wait for new "pup"! 🙂

F/N/A luvstogarden
Valued Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@LilLadyNJ - Harness. Bet you can't wait for new "pup"! 🙂

thanks. I'm excited, 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia That's unbelievable!    Can't even imagine it.

Our first dog (Spaniel)  didn't like hubby to have hold of the leash - so she wouldn't move until he dropped it -  she carried his end in her mouth for the  walk.

Respected Contributor

@LilLadyNJ   Harness only.  I believe you can damage their throats if they pull too hard on a collar.  Also, if she happens to jump over a fence or similar, you don't want her getting stuck mid-air due to a collar getting stuck. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

Honestly i have had dogs for 30 yrs. i always start with collars, as they grow then harness.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Maybe you are confusing all of us....

A puppy should wear a collar - it has all his ID tags hanging on it.

Then are you talking about a leash or harness for walking??

A leash pulls at the neck, a harness that I know of, I'm sure there are many, hooks onto the collar and snaps around his body for walks then attaches to a leash.  This type of harness doesn't pull at the neck rather guiding the puppy with a slight pull at the body.

My dog is older but I have a "jacket" that snaps around his body and is connected directly to the leash.  I also have a product from Thunder Leash that I like too.  You snap it on the collar and wrap it around the dogs body and again, it doesn't pull on the neck.

I would also suggest you keep playing with this feet, touching his body so he feels comfortable as he ages.  You will need nails cut, playing with his feet and touching him aids this process through the years, they won't pull their paws back and refuse the service.  Gentle messages also help the animals' behavior.  I also enrolled in puppy class at a Pet Smart and that was very beneficial.

What I learned was that it's great to introduce yourself to other dogs but they are similar to humans, you may not like others.  Although no one really talks about it, there are more dog on dog attacks that you may think. 

Protect your little fur baby, you are all they have.

Honored Contributor

Some mention that collars are needed for tags, my harness has a ring for tags.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@fthunt :  I love when they walk themselves. 8)

Respected Contributor

The rope harness that they sell on QVC looks great and has good reviews. If I still had dogs I would absolutely buy them. It doesn't look like the dog can get out of them.

I always used a collar for tags but a harness for walking. 

I had 3 dogs the last time that I walked every day all year round. I had to have control with that many although one could walk herself, boy I sure miss them. 

I have cats now so its completely different but still lovely!

Respected Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

First time dog mom here. I will be picking up a new puppy in a week. Do you use a collar or a harness on your puppies for training. Puppy will not go on walks as he won't have all of his vaccines.

Harness always.