Honored Contributor

@LilLadyNJ 

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the input.

Which have you decided on?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@LilLadyNJ wrote:

First time dog mom here. I will be picking up a new puppy in a week. Do you use a collar or a harness on your puppies for training. Puppy will not go on walks as he won't have all of his vaccines.

@LilLadyNJ 

Much happiness with your new best friend.

I have raised, trained, walked, etc. pups and dogs, and seniors my whole life.

Collar for tags, in case pup accidentally slips away, maybe bolts out a door, h/she  will still have ID & microchip. Collar ID is quicker, but not permanent like chip.

Pups are playful, and excited about everything!  Small necks can be damaged by pulling collar hard against thorax.  Not YOU pulling - the pup, who doesn’t know better, may hurt themselves, As a recent example, but with a cat, someone else, or another dog, can get tangled up in the leash and do serious damage.

Happy Tails!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Valued Contributor

Thanks to all.  Puppy is a small breed (bichon) so I will get both and see how it goes. I will not be walking the puppy until he receives his vaccines and has learned leash skills indoors first. I will also be working with a trainer. 

Honored Contributor

@LilLadyNJ 

Good decision! Like humans, all dogs are different!

Find what works for your new love.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@LilLadyNJ 

I agree with the poster who said collar and then harness.  Our

70 lb dog pulled a lot with the leash.

We keep the collar on him with his tags on and then use the harness for walks.

I purchased a harness here on QVC about a month ago.  It is easy to put on, and the walks are so much better.

Because we live on a hill, and I am afraid of falling, I walk rather slowly going down hill.  The harness is so much better.

M62190 but I see it is no longer available.  I think it was a fluke it was sold last month; it is one of those items usually available during the holidays.

Honored Contributor

Re: Collar or harness

[ Edited ]

I have and love a Joyride dog harness.  It has 3 different rings on the back for training purposes. It's a larger harness that clips with a seatbelt material across the front that is ajustable.  It's not one of those wimpy harnesses that you buy that is thin strappy material.  

I do have a boxer mix and she's strong. She's also a master leash slipper.  When I first got her, she slipped her collar and leash by putting her head down and backing out of it.  I then got one of those strappy kinds of harnesses and the exact same thing happened.  In a flash she put her head down and back right out of it.  I then bought a no-slip leash however, I didn't like the way it went right around her throat. 

An account I follow on Instagram had photos of her dog in these full harnesses and I found out what they were and ordered one and I love it.  There is no way my dog can get out of this.  It is like a full on vest.  And there is nothing around her throat/neck.   It is super easy to get on and comes in a variety of colors and prints.

NEW All-In-One™ No Pull Dog Harness black