Honored Contributor

Coconut Oil For Pets

[ Edited ]

Ava's trainer told me how good coconut oil was for dogs.  I had read this in the past but never tried it.  I bought some CocoTherapy coconut oil and rubbed a little bit on a Greenie and also a Flexi Nylabone, and Ava loved it.  I am going to start giving it to her alone today.  I have read to start slowly, so I will start with 1/4 tsp.

CocoTherapy coconut oil is organic virgin coconut oil.  It says it's good for their coat.  Ava's coat looks healthy, but her hair hasn't grown back where they spayed her a little over a year ago.  I'm hoping it could possibly help that.  I'm giving her melatonin for that, too.  When Frankie had seasonal flank alopecia the dermatologist prescribed melatonin twice a day.  Hers did grow back.  It has numerous other benefits, too.

I also just ordered Hairball Plus for cats, which is coconut chips.  It sounds like it could help Henry with his hairballs.  I will start slowly with that, too.

Does anyone else use coconut oil for their dogs or cats (or even themselves)?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My sister gives her dog coconut oil daily. He licks it off her finger. I give my cats canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix). It helps keep their stool solid. When I first got Slick and Stormy, their stool was like water. I've beeen giving them pumpkin for years to help with that issue. It also helps if they are constipated.

Honored Contributor

I use virgin coconut oil,for my dogs, you can find many brands, and i looked at the name you posted, very expensive ,you can find just as good cheaper.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Ava is a lucky girl.

You should check with the vet too, coconut oil is not a complete oil, just like for people.  There should be a better price around for cold pressed, virgin oil.

I had a girl once who would try to lick off my hands if I used it for hand cream.  

Trusted Contributor

yes, 1 tsp mixed into food per our vet. 

Honored Contributor

I use food grade coconut oil for my boy.

If it's safe for humans, it's safe for our fur-kids.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@KingstonsMom   The one that I bought is safe for humans.  I think I'm going to start taking it, too.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

It might be safe, but it's not necessarily good.

From the NY Times, two years ago:

"Coconut oil is high in saturated fatty acids, and saturated fat has been linked to high cholesterol levels and heart disease. ... The harsh processing may destroy some of thegood essential fatty acids and antioxidants, such as lauric acid, a medium chain fatty acid believed to raise good H.D.L. cholesterol."

If you are watching your lipids, you might want to check with your GP before taking coconut oil as a supplement.

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@KingstonsMom   The one that I bought is safe for humans.  I think I'm going to start taking it, too.  

@NickNack 

I take it too, it has many great health benefits.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

We give our dog Wild Caught Alaskan Salmon Oil, but for DH and I, I use coconut oil in some recipes.  We also take MCT oil every day, which is derived from coconuts.