Honored Contributor

Henry has tear stains on his eyes.  I cleaned one of them pretty well but can't get the other one clean.  I have eye wipes that I've been using.  The Vet used damp cotton balls but didn't seem to do any better than I did.  I feel like if I could get them clean then I could keep them that way.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  There isn't any gunk, and it's not terrible.  It's just stained, and I would like to get it cleaner than it is.

fullsizeoutput_bb.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I don't have an answer for you because I have never had cats that have that.

I do want to say that Henry is absolutely wonderful and I love his name.  I have a Billy and Katie.  I've had a Penelope, Annabelle, Cleopatra and Tabetha.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Annabellethecat66.  I like people names for my pets.  My other cats have been Mimi, McKenzie, Abby and Sabrina.

-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

My Frosty has the same problem.  Our vet said there really isn't anything to help.  He has inherited narrow tear ducts and the tears have substances that stain particular types of fur.  I just keep wipinng the tears anyway, but the stains remain unfortunately.frosty march 1 2.JPG

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning Eyes

[ Edited ]

Thanks @Glittergal.  That's too bad.  I was hoping there was something that would work.  I'll keep cleaning them though.  It does help a little bit.  It's strange that it helped one eye and not the other one.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Did they check your little lovebug for conjunctivitis?  Once we had a cat with this problem, and a younger vet said, oh, just wipe the eyes.  A more experienced one later said mild conjunctivitis likely triggered by a mini-virus.  Gave us some inexpensive drops and the problem cleared up for good! 

If it's not that Drs. Foster and Smith and many pet sites sell tear-stain removal solution.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning Eyes

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Did they check your little lovebug for conjunctivitis?  Once we had a cat with this problem, and a younger vet said, oh, just wipe the eyes.  A more experienced one later said mild conjunctivitis likely triggered by a mini-virus.  Gave us some inexpensive drops and the problem cleared up for good! 

If it's not that Drs. Foster and Smith and many pet sites sell tear-stain removal solution.

@Sammycat1  How do you check for conjunctivitis?  My Vet looked at his eyes and tried to clean them.  All she said was that I would probably have to clean them often.  She is a very experienced Vet that I've been going to for at least fifteen years.  He goes back in three weeks for his last set of shots.  I'll ask about conjunctivitis then.

I have some eye cleans plads from Drs. F&S that I've been using on him.  I just checked them though, and they are for gunk but not for stains.  I guess that's why I'm not having any luck with them!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack - Your Henry is adorable!

One of ours has this problem. DH takes a clean thin white cloth and WARM water to clean them out. If he's not around I do it. He told me never use a dry cloth or kleenex. He said to make sure your own veterinarian approves your using eye wipes; he doesn't advise using them. They might give you a gel to help with this. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@Sammycat1  How do you check for conjunctivitis?  My Vet looked at his eyes and tried to clean them.  All she said was that I would probably have to clean them often.  She is a very experienced Vet that I've been going to for at least fifteen years.  He goes back in three weeks for his last set of shots.  I'll ask about conjunctivitis then.

I have some eye cleans plads from Drs. F&S that I've been using on him.  I just checked them though, and they are for gunk but not for stains.  I guess that's why I'm not having any luck with them!

You need a vet to check the eyes.  My one kitty had some weeping and stains, and then suddenly her eye got cloudy -- emergency!  It ended up she had the conjunctivitis and ultimately the drops helped.  Otherwise, all we use to clean the eyes is warm water with a soft cloth. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@NickNack - Your Henry is adorable!

One of ours has this problem. DH takes a clean thin white cloth and WARM water to clean them out. If he's not around I do it. He told me never use a dry cloth or kleenex. He said to make sure your own veterinarian approves your using eye wipes; he doesn't advise using them. They might give you a gel to help with this. Good luck! Smiley Happy

Thanks for the advise on the eye wipes @beach-mom.  I'll take them with me to the Vet in three weeks and ask if it's okay to use them.  I'll start using warm water instead in the meantime.  

-Henry David Thoreau