Honored Contributor

Re: Choosing dog foods after the grain-free scare

@ItsME   I would be concerned about your dogs ingesting arsenic from this rice dish. Have you read up on arsenic in rice?  Actually, dogs do not need much rice/ carbs as they really need more meat.  I think your home made  dog food contains too much rice.

May I suggest rotation say with oats ...millet ....Quinoa rather than rice?  

And go higher on the meat..in proportion  to the carbohydrates in your home made dishes.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Thank you.  I got the recipe from Dr. Fox.  I have oats in there, as well as rice, and will rotate the carbs I use.  But, I've been adding rice to my boy's diet for a while now.... it's the only thing that has kept the bellies working properly., so I'll keep it as part of their diet.  I actually made the first batch with half the rice, because my dogs are smaller.  But one of them needed more, so I added it in when I fed them, and added more in the next batch.

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

@SeaMaiden  Thank you.  I got the recipe from Dr. Fox.  I have oats in there, as well as rice, and will rotate the carbs I use.  But, I've been adding rice to my boy's diet for a while now.... it's the only thing that has kept the bellies working properly., so I'll keep it as part of their diet.  I actually made the first batch with half the rice, because my dogs are smaller.  But one of them needed more, so I added it in when I fed them, and added more in the next batch.

@ItsME  You know your babies best!  I just think information can be golden... and a person always has the choice to look into the info given or not.  Sounds like you are doing what you know works as a good Momma does Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden..... Thanks.  I love to get as much information as possible, and then make a decision.  Your post, and the information in it, are very much appreciated!  And I will be changing up the mix of grains!  

Esteemed Contributor

Have made no changes, continue to feed grain free food.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Have made no changes, continue to feed grain free food.

@CrazyDaisy  I know....it is all so mind boggling to get this complete upside down new info from what we thought we were doing right.  I am only switching to a grain based, no pea no lentil formula as I had a conversation with my dog's cardiologist and he recommended that I do.