Honored Contributor

Re: Choosing a name for your dog

I had a big, beautiful black tri colored collie named Jett, my avatar.   He died about 3 years ago.  Last December I adopted a rescue that was sort of a small version of Jett, at least in coloration, a black tri colored miniature American (Aussie) shepherd.  Since he's a small jet, I named him Piper, as in Piper Cub, a smaller aircraft.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

So, what did you name her? 

@GingerPeach, what was the name your pup had before & what did you finally decide on?

Trusted Contributor

I didn't have a name for Maggie until we were driving home. Rod Stewart's "Maggie May" came on the radio and BINGO! My little sweetheart had a name. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

It appears some people have a difficult time coming up with a name.

About two years ago, I picked up my granddaughter after school.  She stays with me until her mother gets off from work.

She told me her "other Grammy" got a new kitten over the weekend. ( her other one passed a few weeks before). I asked her the usual questions....where  did she get her , is she cute and playful and her name.

My granddaughter hesitated then finally said her Grammy named the kitten "Mandy."  I said "what?  No, what did she really name her?" She repeated Mandy again.  ( name changed to protect my granddaughter) 

I couldn't believe it.  She gave her kitten the same name as my Granddaughter.  I asked my granddaughter how she felt about it.  She said she didn't like it.

Well, this story is true.  I can't understand why someone would give their pet the same name as their granddaughter.  When I saw Grammy at a school concert, I asked her about the kitten and asked why she choose that name.  She said she always liked the name and wanted to use it.

I was flabbergasted, but kept my mouth shut. There are all kinds of crazies in this world.

I guess my granddaughter is used to it now.  She doesn't say much and never talks about the cat. 

Respected Contributor

I enjoyed reading this thread.  Our little Daisy was already named when we got her from the Humane Society.  I had always liked that name, and it seemed to fit her, so we kept it.  Our Capone was named Max when we rescued him.  He just didn't seem to be a Max.  We love to watch Mountain Men, and one character on there has hunting dogs.  One of the dogs was named Capone, and we thought that was a good name for a male Boston terrier.  So when we got "Max," we changed his name to Capone, which fits him.  

Honored Contributor

Wow, @Carmie

I feel for your granddaughter.  

And it's too bad the "other Grammy" didn't even think about including her granddaughter in the decision.  That, to me, is the most unfeeling part of this sad story.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@mzlg wrote:

@coffee drinker wrote:

So, what did you name her? 

@GingerPeach, what was the name your pup had before & what did you finally decide on?

@mzlg and @coffee drinker

Her name at the shelter was Dusty but I don't wish to share her actual name.  Thanks for asking.  I would probably be asking, too.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I like people names for my pets and keep a list of names that I like.  Four of my rescue dogs came with names, and I kept them.  I semi-changed one name that was Skipper to Kipper.  I usually have my pets named before I get them.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Did you find it easy to name your new dog (adult or puppy) or did you find yourself waiting until a name that seemed right popped into your head?

For me, it was the latter.  My previous (adult) dog had a name she didn't really respond to (the shelter called by it) and I tried a few at home until we both seemed to be happy with the one we finally chose.

What sort of methods did you all use?

@GingerPeach  Over the years, my beagles all had 2 syllable names ending with a “y” sound. I found it easier when training them...especially when teaching them to come to their name. Of course, they had many other names, nicknames, endearments after they recognized their given names. We usually had a name or two in mind before choosing the puppy.

We’ve had several I can’t remember when I was younger, but more recently Honey, Sophie, Lady, 2 Tippys and now Sadie and Molly. 

Trusted Contributor

i named my n ew boston kirby after the character kirby on combat.  the name seems to suit him