Honored Contributor

Chicago Comm. Helps Stray Cats Stay Warm

[ Edited ]

Even 9 lives can't withstand 20 degrees below zero -- which is why Chicagoans are on a mission to save hundreds of thousands of stray cats ... with the help of tons of straw.

A grassroots community in Chi-Town called "Chicago Community Cats" has been bracing for a week for the polar vortex temperatures by prepping makeshift shelters for stray and feral cats.

Erica Roewade, who runs the group, says about 200 people have been working around the clock to build straw-stuffed bins to keep the kitties warm.

It's a huge undertaking. Chi-Town reportedly has roughly 200k feral cats roaming its streets and alleys.

Roewade says the group has also purchased about 100 "Snuggle Safe Disks" (which also keep pets warm), heated water bowls and other supplies to distribute throughout the city. 

Considering temps are expected to stay in the negative all week -- Roewade says the most important thing is to keep the frigid wind and airflow off the kitties.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/01/30/chicago-polar-vortex-feral-stray-cats-straw-bins/ 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Chicago Comm. Helping Stray Cats Stay Warm

Way to go, Chicago!!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I would think feral cats would be very suspicious of those bin and most would not enter them, especially if they have had an experience being trapped.  Big thanks to the volunteers trying to help them, however.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Survival is the biggest instinct that feral cats have.

At 20 degrees below zero, I'll bet they'll use them to survive.

Honored Contributor

Re: Chicago Comm. Helps Stray Cats Stay Warm

[ Edited ]

I  was just thinking about our fur babies out in the cold.  Thank you, CCC for helping stray cats keep alive.  What a wonderful thing to do.  Cat HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

YEA, Chicago for helping the felines. Now, if they could raise funds to vaccinate, spay and/or neuter these feral cats what a success story it would be!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

As an animal advocate I always thank God for all those who put time and effort , care and love in helping all animals,  

It is always uplifting to read such stories as this one and renews my faith that there are compassionate kind people who make this world better.  Thank you all!

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

YEA, Chicago for helping the felines. Now, if they could raise funds to vaccinate, spay and/or neuter these feral cats what a success story it would be!  

@BirkiLady

I'm not sure if they have a TNR (Trap, Neuter, Release) program in Chicago or not, we do here.

With those that are neutered, they put a tiny slit in one ear to signify it's been neutered.

Vaccinations would be much trickier, if even possible.

Respected Contributor

I understand the compassion but without spaying & neutering you end up with more stray-feral cats in a never ending circle. I live in the country & dumped animals are a real problem, there are no happy endings.

Respected Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

I understand the compassion but without spaying & neutering you end up with more stray-feral cats in a never ending circle. I live in the country & dumped animals are a real problem, there are no happy endings.

I bet those who are trying to help are indeed aware of the ongoing problem. 

Kudos to them for trying to help the cold animals who are already here, even if they are unable to prevent future litters.