Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chewy Is Out Of Stock on My Prescription Cat Food!

@Annabellethecat66 

I remember from my Schmoo thread that Bill has pancreas issues like our cat Frankie. If he's eating Hills Science Diet d/d, the canned, it is backordered EVERYWHERE.

My vet recommended substituting Royal Canin duck and pea (prescription, not the stuff you can get in stores).  We've been using it with Frankie for two weeks now, and it works perfectly--she likes the taste and texture, and no gut problems at all.

FYI.

Valued Contributor

Same thing happened to me with Chewy as did with @noodleann.  They were out of my cat's food, I asked them to email me when it was restocked and they never did   I checked every day and when I finally noticed it was in stock again, I ordered 4 cases. Since then, I always make sure I have at least 4 - 5 extra cases on hand.  Do not want to ever run out of his favorite food.

Like others have said, you might be able to get more at a place like Petflow.  I doubt something like Amazon or Petco would work, since the food you want requires a prescription.  It's a racket, isn't it?

Best to stock up as soon as the food is available again.

Honored Contributor

@Tessa Mendoza wrote:

Same thing happened to me with Chewy as did with @noodleann.  They were out of my cat's food, I asked them to email me when it was restocked and they never did   I checked every day and when I finally noticed it was in stock again, I ordered 4 cases. Since then, I always make sure I have at least 4 - 5 extra cases on hand.  Do not want to ever run out of his favorite food.

Like others have said, you might be able to get more at a place like Petflow.  I doubt something like Amazon or Petco would work, since the food you want requires a prescription.  It's a racket, isn't it?

Best to stock up as soon as the food is available again.

@Tessa Mendoza   Petco has a pharmacy, and so does PetSmart.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I get my prescription diet from the Vet.  I did check with Chewy recently but their price is no better so I'm sticking with my vet.  

When we first started on the prescription diet I got it from Petsmart, but be aware that Petsmart requires a copy of the prescription for their prescription diets.  Once you give them one, it stays on file so you don't have to do it every time.  I'm not sure how Chewy handles prescription diets since I never went any farther than checking the price on their site. 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I get my prescription diet from the Vet.  I did check with Chewy recently but their price is no better so I'm sticking with my vet.  

When we first started on the prescription diet I got it from Petsmart, but be aware that Petsmart requires a copy of the prescription for their prescription diets.  Once you give them one, it stays on file so you don't have to do it every time.  I'm not sure how Chewy handles prescription diets since I never went any farther than checking the price on their site. 

Chewy contacts your vet and gets the Rx and authorization, then fills the order.

I went with Chewy for Rx food that I'd been getting from my vet when we had an especially hard winter and the half-hour drive on icy roads to get to the vet was something I wanted to avoid if possible. My vet had no problem with it. I think I'll buy my next case from him, though, just to get the can cap that they provide that doesn't come with the Chewy delivery. The ones I have are wearing out.

If my vet was  closer, I'd definitely go with him for every case, but it's such a relief to know this will arrive every 2 months (it's supplemental food) that I really want to stick with Chewy.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1  I asked my Vet if it was the same food at Amazon and he said yes, so I'm going to order from there.

Thanks for the info.  I never even thought of ordering it from somewhere else.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@ NickNack - Good to know...thanks!

Super Contributor

My dog has a pancreas issue also.  Feel so bad for her when it flares up.  I order her food through the vet and to pretty order the next bag when I pick up a bag.  I hope your cars food arrives shortly!