Honored Contributor

Died on July 23rd, she was 15. I remember the segment Anderson Cooper did about her on 60 Minutes. If you're interested there's lots of information available about her online. Articles, videos, a book.

I've had two border collies in my life. One a purebred and one a mix. They are so loving and so smart. Always want to be active so they need the right owners. I remember when the Babe movie came out and people wanted them, then surrendered them  to shelters because the dogs were too much "work" for them.

Chaser (April 28, 2004 – July 23, 2019) was a Border Collie with the largest tested memory of any non-human animal. Chaser worked with Professor John W. Pilley, at his home in Spartanburg, South Carolina, from eight weeks old, until Pilley's death in June 2018. Pilley spent that time training her in a formal research project. Chaser could identify and retrieve 1,022 toys by name.

images.jpeg

chaser-book-cover.jpg

pilley-and-chaser-jpg-1558025445.jpg

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Re: Chaser The Border Collie

I can't get my smart Aussie to distinguish between a"toy" and a "bone".  I love him anyway.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 

What an amazing, wonderful dog...and I'm a cat person.  That face....so eager, knowing.  Those eyes!

This is why I get so annoyed when my sister-in-law refers to her beautiful, yellow, Lab as "stupid dog."

He's much, much smarter than she is and, I'd take his company over hers any day.

RIP sweet Chaser.

Honored Contributor

One of the border collies my family had could tell my Mom's car was coming down the street from a distance, long before she could see the car or any human could. She understood so many words. Most of all she was the most loving wonderful dog.

Esteemed Contributor

We had a DNA test done on one of our two current dogs, and it came back that she is part Border Collie.  She is the best dog.  She loves to just come and stand or sit between our legs when we are standing.  She did it this morning and her head got caught in my dress!  Dogs are the best thing on this Earth of ours and they all deserve the utmost care and respect.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

chaser.jpeg16644220-7298527-image-a-79_1564427529358.jpg

Respected Contributor

what a beautiful dog.  and she was born on my birthday. i really appreciated the photos.  

i've always said that in my next life, i will be born athletic and i will have a border collie.    my daughter does agility with her dogs, and i always love to go and watch all of the dogs  ... but mostly those border collies.    they are amazing!

my brother had a border collie with a business card.  the dog was 'employed' to go out to the local airport and chase the birds (geese?) off the runways.  what a perfect job! 

i look forward to seeing chaser at the rainbow bridge. 

Honored Contributor

I remember seeing a segment on Chaser.  I am proud of how many words my dog knows but nowhere close to Chaser.  

Honored Contributor

I saw that 60 Minutes segment.  What a beautiful dog Chaser was.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy Yes they use border collies to chase geese from golf courses too. And other places. Of course they are sheep herders too.