Super Contributor

Cbd oil for dog

[ Edited ]

My pup had always been timid. Now she has panosteitis and is becoming dog aggressive. Various people have suggested CBD oil to reduce the inflammation and pain and anxiety in hopes of reducing her aggression. Does anyone have experience with this? TIA

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of this so just looked it up.  I'm sorry that your dog has this.  I see that it's more common in German Shepards than other breeds.  From your Avatar I see that you have a German Shepard.  How old is she?  I read that they outgrow it by the time they're two, so hope she's close to that.

I have read about CBD oil for dogs in this forum, so hopefully someone will chime in with some help for you.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

The vet should have been able to give you something to make your dog more comfortable.  Not sure I would attribute your dogs behavior to his current condition.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Re: Cbd oil for dog

[ Edited ]

Juneau is an 11-month old Shiloh Shepherd.  Shiloh Shepherds are pretty much German Shepherds with some outcrosses to reduce some of the hip issues.   The vet and trainer both seem to think her aggression is a result of her defensiveness while in pain.   
She has a pretty high pain threshold so she doesn't really express her pain in limping or whimpering, but the theory is that maybe it shows as heightened anxiety and defensiveness.    

We've been giving her rimadyl and Trazodone, but the problem continues.  I have had to remove my other dog from the house while we work this out.   

Four weeks ago she got her Canine Good Citizen ... now she barks at every dog she sees as well as kids and .... geez, just about anything that she deems as scary. 

Respected Contributor

Beautiful dogs Shiloh Shepherds. Big. So sorry about the panosteitis. Gentle hug to your pup.  Just a thought because of her age. Is she spayed yet? Hormones can be an issue in aggression during the heat cycle.   Hope she feels better soon.

Esteemed Contributor

@juanitalinda wrote:

Juneau is an 11-month old Shiloh Shepherd.  Shiloh Shepherds are pretty much German Shepherds with some outcrosses to reduce some of the hip issues.   The vet and trainer both seem to think her aggression is a result of her defensiveness while in pain.   
She has a pretty high pain threshold so she doesn't really express her pain in limping or whimpering, but the theory is that maybe it shows as heightened anxiety and defensiveness.    

We've been giving her rimadyl and Trazodone, but the problem continues.  I have had to remove my other dog from the house while we work this out.   

Four weeks ago she got her Canine Good Citizen ... now she barks at every dog she sees as well as kids and .... geez, just about anything that she deems as scary. 

Rimadyl is an effective anti-inflammatory and should be giving your dog relief from the pain.  If it is not I would see your vet, they need to try something else.  No dog should be suffering.

My opinion is that the change in behavior has nothing to do with being in pain, there is something more going on.  When an animal is in pain they will lash out if approached, not look for a confrontation.  Trazodone is a medication used for anxiety and seems like a big jump from a perfect dog 4 weeks ago to a vet medicating for anxiety.  There are also side effects such a agitation with this medication.  Think you need to talk to your vet again.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

In addition to the other suggestions please talk with your vet about putting your dog on a low or lower protein and/or calcium diet.  There is some evidence that high protein and/or calcium levels contribute to panosteitis.

Has the diagnosis been confirmed by x-rays?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

Don't you wish dogs could talk? It would be so much easier.  

We have had her on a lower protein, low calcium large breed puppy food since she was weaned.  I guess sometimes you just can't control the outcome.  

The diagnosis was in fact confirmed by X-rays.  The good news is that neither the elbows nor the hips show any displasia.  

YES!!! 

Honored Contributor

Did this start before or after starting the Trazadone?  It sounds to me like that could be contributing to this.  It has many side effects including agitation.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Re: Cbd oil for dog

[ Edited ]

The vet prescribed Trazadone after the aggressive behavior started.  She showed some improvement, but not a lot.    Hence the search for something else.  CBD oil was one of the vet's recommendations.  I was just wondering what other people's experience has been.  

Obviously we are still working on identifying the root cause to the problem.  In the meantime, we need to keep her moving and keep up her socialization to the extent that we can.  

Blood tests didn't show anything.  Possibly there is a hormone issue since she was very aggressive during her heat cycle.  It calmed down afterwards, but increased again after the spay.  

Rimadyl controls most of the limping, but some days it worse than others.  

She continues to be spooked by just about anything on some days.  She is totally fine the next day.  It is very frustrating ....