Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,837
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s

@Mustang Shar  I thought of something else after I posted.  There are two Cavalier Clubs, the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club and the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club.  Both of them have websites.  They're both very reputable clubs that might be able to help you with breeder's names.  Also, they each Rescue Cavaliers and do not rescue from puppy mills.


The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau





Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,415
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s

[ Edited ]

@Mustang Shar

I hope you are surprised like I was when I finally had jumped through all the hurdles and answered all the questions and got to take home my first dog, the Papillon.  

 

I had set aside money because, like most excellent purebreds, they are expensive.  However, the breeder liked me so much and thought I would provide such a good home, that she gave me the dog for free.  I was so surprised my jaw actually dropped.  But that's the kind of breeder she was, not in it for the money but only for the good of the dogs.

 

I hope you get a pleasant surprise like that, too.

 

p.s.  My dog was five when she came to me.  That is very young for a small dog.  Keep that in mind also.  I'm sure you know that already.

 

p.p.s.  Full disclosure - she did end up costing several thousand for repair of a ruptured spinal disk, from which it took weeks to recover and she was very uncomfortable (and I was scared for her).  But luckily she had a great surgeon and recovered perfectly.  Some dogs lose the ability to walk after something like that.  She lived to be 17.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎09-21-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s

I believe this breed can also have Chiari  Malformation w/syrinx which is a serious condition.  Speaking as a human who has this condition, think twice as it is a painful condition and a very expensive surgery for dogs who have it.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,837
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s

There's a website called cavalierhealth.org where you can get good information.  It may scare you though.  None of my Cavaliers had Chiari Malformation, but if it's related to Syringomyelia, I do know other Cavalier owners whose dogs have had this.  It's hard to deal with.  

 

With my Cavaliers, their heart problems were well controlled with medication.  That's the only problem I had until they got cancer when they were older.  When you have a Cavalier it's very important to have an excellent Vet who is familiar with them and their health problems.  


The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau





Occasional Contributor
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎10-20-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s

HI I have two cavaliers a tri and black and tan. They are the best dogs they are like are kids. They are both males the oldest is eight and the youngest is six. My older one did suffer from separation anxiety thats how we ended up with two. They do not like to be alone. Mine were easily trained they are very smart. Like the others posted make sure you go to a reputable breeder they have heart, eye and hip issues. They also suffer from a disease that affects their brain. It is when their skull is to small. I'm sorry but I can't recall the correct name but if you do your research you will be able to read about it. They are very expensive if you go to a reputable breeder. You will probably pay at least $1500 to $2500. The cavalier rescue does have some nice dogs and they do test them for genetic disorders. They are not all puppy mill dogs they sometimes are there because the owner passed away or the family fell on hard times Good Luck!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,837
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s

[ Edited ]

@cavalierkingcharlesmom wrote:

HI I have two cavaliers a tri and black and tan. They are the best dogs they are like are kids. They are both males the oldest is eight and the youngest is six. My older one did suffer from separation anxiety thats how we ended up with two. They do not like to be alone. Mine were easily trained they are very smart. Like the others posted make sure you go to a reputable breeder they have heart, eye and hip issues. They also suffer from a disease that affects their brain. It is when their skull is to small. I'm sorry but I can't recall the correct name but if you do your research you will be able to read about it. They are very expensive if you go to a reputable breeder. You will probably pay at least $1500 to $2500. The cavalier rescue does have some nice dogs and they do test them for genetic disorders. They are not all puppy mill dogs they sometimes are there because the owner passed away or the family fell on hard times Good Luck!


 

 

Syringomyelia is the name of this disease I believe.  It's what I mentioned in my previous post.  You can read about it on the Cavalierhealth.org website that I mentioned earlier.


The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau





Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,656
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s

[ Edited ]

Absolutely one of the most lovable dogs in the whole wide world.  You will not regret getting a King Charles.  So swee and loving!

 

Ours is ten years old and so far there have been no health problems, heart or otherwise.

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 11,415
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s

@Mustang Shar and anyone else interested, I was just notified of a sale on genetic testing by the Papillon dog community I stay in touch with.  It's offered by Paw Print Genetics.   I've not used this myself, so am not familiar with how long it takes, what it costs, etc.   

 

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=0be756012ec4d5e2a727a1d7e&id=8d6bbbff06&e=5a218407bf

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,809
Registered: ‎03-24-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s


@GingerPeach wrote:

@Mustang Shar and anyone else interested, I was just notified of a sale on genetic testing by the Papillon dog community I stay in touch with.  It's offered by Paw Print Genetics.   I've not used this myself, so am not familiar with how long it takes, what it costs, etc.   

 

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=0be756012ec4d5e2a727a1d7e&id=8d6bbbff06&e=5a218407bf


@GingerPeach

Thank you! I bookmarked the link. That is less expensive than my DNA test for genealogy! 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,809
Registered: ‎03-24-2010

Re: Cavalier King Charles ?'s


@KentuckyWoman wrote:

Absolutely one of the most lovable dogs in the whole wide world.  You will not regret getting a King Charles.  So swee and loving!

 

Ours is ten years old and so far there have been no health problems, heart or otherwise.

 


@KentuckyWoman

 

Care to share any puppy or dog stories about yours?  I've been reading these little puppies will find and eat anything outside in the lawn, like a little vacuuming cleaner. So I need to really check my little back lawn. I'm in a ground floor condo, but there is a small dog park at the Apartments behind me. I'm sure I could use it during the day when everyone is at work.