Respected Contributor

Re: Cats not using litter box

@DeniseColo wrote:

@fourpaws56 - You don't have enough information to determine if the OP is a truly a responsible pet owner or not.  And, bringing up spaying several times in this thread is being rude.  The OP is not looking good for advice on that topic and does not need to explain to you or anyone else why she did not spay mama cat before she got pregnant.  @Susan423 is taking care of the kittens and didn't throw them out on the street or leave them at a shelter.  If you want to discuss why cats should be spayed/neutered, feel free to start a thread on that topic.

@fourpaws56 wrote:

you don't seem like a very responcible pet owner

I have volunteered at a shelter for decades,and have seen what happens to unwanted kittens. If talking about spaying is rude, so be it. I am sure the OP is caring for the kittens, but it also comes across as if this mama cat has kittens often..a lot of cities offer lowcost spays, just something I hope she thinks about

Trusted Contributor

I was going post about the same problem: I have two male cats, litter mates, 7 years old. One has decided not to use the box. Took him to the vet, no health problems and urinalysis was fine. Don't know why the change as I have 3 boxes and clean them twice a day. He must be ********off about something (no pun intended). I will give him extra affection and see if that helps. Good luck with your kittens. If there's a change for the better, please post.

Contributor

Thanks again guys for all your good advice. I'm taking what I need andwaving the rest. It would take pages to explain my situation. I will say that I have at least 4 kittens dumped in my yard at least once a year. Some I eventually find homes for, some I keep and give them a loving home. I think the problem is that in this area there are absolutely no discount spay and neuter clinics. Believe me I've looked. The one I go to charges 100.00.
So judge if you must but I do the best I can😊.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have this problem from time to time with our cat. He was never like this until after he was neutered.  He knows where to go but sometimes he just won't use it.  We'll find surprises from time to time in our downstairs shower - just #2, never #1.  I guess it's better in there than anywhere else, but it's still a problem and I don't like it.  Cats can be very fussy about wanting to use a clean litter box.  I've realized this to be true in our situation.  When it's cleaned daily, he's much better.  I also used a litter box attractant, to encourage use of the litter box.  The attractant helps, but I think having a clean box is what makes the most difference.

Precious Cat Ultra Litter Attractant, 20 Ounces

Contributor

Yes. I've used that in the past. This time I used the cat attract. Didn't make any difference. I scoop all the litter boxes every couple of hours. I'm never gone more than 6 hours and I scoop when I get home. I completely change the litter about every four days. I'm really picky about that so I can't imagine that would be it. I'm going to take the advice of one of the posters that said take them to a different vet.