Honored Contributor

Re: Cats not using litter box

We frequently hear about pets doing dastardly deeds in the bedroom.  Don't people have bedroom doors?  If i had to constantly change the bed linens due to the cat, I'd keep him out of the bedroom.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

We frequently hear about pets doing dastardly deeds in the bedroom.  Don't people have bedroom doors?  If i had to constantly change the bed linens due to the cat, I'd keep him out of the bedroom.

You obviously don't have pets lol.

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I’ve always had several litter boxes available for my cat.  He usually prefers to pee in one and poop in another.  Although, his real preference is to wait until he gets outside.

I recently acquired a young kitten—barely weaned, dropped off.  He started out with two litter boxes.  I found at first that he was so little the regular size box was too big for him to get into comfortably, so I got him a small kitten size box, and that was perfect for him.  He has since gotten big enough that he doesn’t need the smaller box.  However, I still keep two boxes for him.  And he too will often prefer to use one box for peeing and the other for pooping.  

Also, I’ve found that sometimes my cat(s) prefer larger than normal boxes.

Good point about the litter box possibly being too high for the kittens.

Respected Contributor

please spay the mother cat....and all the kittens when old enough

Respected Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

I’ve always had several litter boxes available for my cat.  He usually prefers to pee in one and poop in another.  Although, his real preference is to wait until he gets outside.

I recently acquired a young kitten—barely weaned, dropped off.  He started out with two litter boxes.  I found at first that he was so little the regular size box was too big for him to get into comfortably, so I got him a small kitten size box, and that was perfect for him.  He has since gotten big enough that he doesn’t need the smaller box.  However, I still keep two boxes for him.  And he too will often prefer to use one box for peeing and the other for pooping.  

If anyone is interested in a larger than normal box, I suggest getting a cement mixing box from a hardware store.  Ours had kinda sorta sloped ends which made it easier to clean.

Also we had two boxes for our bengal cats - bought one of those Breeze pans.  Mostly because our male prefered to to "stand up" to pee, LOL.  No covered pans for him!

Denise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FranandZoe wrote:

@geezerette wrote:

Good point about the litter box possibly being too high for the kittens.

I agree that the litter box could be too high for the kittens.  When I got my kitten a year ago I got a litter box with a low entry.  The sides are higher, but the entry point is low.  He's a year old now, and that's still the box that he uses.  It's a Lucky Champ litter box, and they sell it at Chewy dot com.

61BsGXaZQHL._SL1113_.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

Hi guys, thanks so much for all your comments. I didn't want to go in to a lot of detail and make my post to long and boring. But I do have more than one litter box. Throughout the house I have 6. 2 are in the bathroom that I have to keep them in at night. I have 2 large ones in other parts of the house that are those large Rubbermaid containers that you slide can understand the bed. They also have a lower side then litter boxes. When I have kittens that are first starting out using the litter box, I'll use like an old cookie sheet. Seems to work pretty well. But these cats are now big enough for a regular litter box. I also did the cat attract. It has worked in the past. But this time the only ones that was attracted to it were the ones already using the box😀. I have not tried putting a litter box on the bed. Thanks for that. I will try anything at this point. I do have a waterproof mattress pad on my bed so I don't have to worry about my mattress.
Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

You obviously don't have pets lol.

@FranandZoe.  LOL.  I've had them all but am down to a mere 3 dogs now.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Susan423You might try a cage for each wayward kitty with its own litter box.  The kitten would have to stay in the cage for a while, like you were boarding it. 

You would only let them out when you were holding/petting them.

This might help them get used to the idea. 

Good luck. 

Contributor

This may sound weird but I'd rather have them contained to the bed, bedroom. If I locked them out of the bedroom, they would pee on the couches, chairs, rug, ECT. 😗