Contributor
What do I do about a kitten(well about 8 months old), that has claws like razor blades and knows how to use them. She's real loving and loves to be picked up. But when I pick her up she gets up on my shoulder and grabs ahold of my back where I can't reach her claws. When I'm standing in the kitchen she'll come up and dig her paws in to my leg cause she wants to be picked up. I though about trimming them but she hates to be messed with like that and I would end up a bloody mess. Anyone have any suggestions. I won't get her declawed.
Honored Contributor

When my kitties were about the same age, I held their paws.  I wanted them to be comfortable with me touching them.  It didn't take long before I was able to snip the tip of the nail with a toe nail clipper.  Your other option is to take them to the vet or groomer to have it done. 

Honored Contributor

We had one cat who would stand having his claws only if I sat him up in my lap, on his butt, facing away from me, and clipped his claws with good claw clippers so that he could see what I was doing.

Your kitty may be too young to sit still, but if you can get him used to sitting in your lap with his back against you, it is a great way to clip claws.  That way you can see what you are going and I think at least our cat didn't feel like he was being restrained. 

Good luck.  You can't have them using you for a climbing tree. 

Honored Contributor

Take him to a groomer to get his nails clipped.

I have two dogs who give me a hard time when I try to clip their nails.  It is so bad that I can't do it.  The groomer has no problem.  They hold still for her and it is done quickly.

It is worth it for me to pay her for her expertise.

Contributor
Ok. Thanks. This morning she went to climb up my leg and I reached around to grab her and she dug her claws in to my hand. Drew blood and almost brought tears to my eyes. I know she does mean to but...still....OWE.😙
Honored Contributor

Trim his claws!! He has to know who's boss in your house. Put him in your lap, give him treats, pet him, trim his claws. Done.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at Mon, Feb 18, 2019-11.28.57 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-02-18 at Mon, Feb 18, 2019-11.29.22 AM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I have a friend who comes over every four weeks and helps me trim my cat's claws.  I wouldn't be able to do it by myself I don't think.  I would suggest taking her to the Vet or the groomer once a month.  It makes a tremendous difference.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Definitely snip just the tip of the nail.  Start now so she gets used to it.

Honored Contributor

I started trimming my cats nails from the time they were kittens.  I held them in my lap and gently took a paw and used a soothing voice.  I would snip the tips of the nails with my fingernail clippers.  I ended up doing that method their entire lives.  Never had an issue.