Trusted Contributor

Re: Cats Kneading--Henry Doesn't Knead

I agree with the theories of length with mama cat, but we got one that was with her mama & not removed too soon and when she's happy on a super soft blanket she does it still.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@StraytoStaywrote:

I agree with the theories of length with mama cat, but we got one that was with her mama & not removed too soon and when she's happy on a super soft blanket she does it still.

@StraytoStay

Now that you mention it, my big boy Bubba was on "my" (ha - ya it was mine for 5 seconds!!!) new blanket last night & he was kneading - he never does.

Must have been my his blanket huh???!!

Honored Contributor

@NickNack.  It sounds like Henry is remarkably well-adjusted.  No worries there.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@NickNack I LOVE HENRY Heart

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Contributor

I have two feral littermates that I brought inside.  they are 9 mos. old now.  The male was really sick so I took him from his mom when he was still only nursing coz I had to take him to the vet.  He was not eating food yet although his sister was.  I had to bottle feed him while he recovered from a upper respiratory infection and conjuctivitis.  He finally started eating and got healthy.  He was much more tame in the beginning probably from being handled so much.  I caught his sister and momma in a trap and got momma fixed and took in sister about 2 weeks later (kittens were probably about 7-8 weeks).  Sister was so wild that the vet and I thought she couldn't be tamed.  She was mostly just eating food when taken from mom.  Mom was also starting to have gentlemen callers again.  

Anyway, sister kneads like crazy but he rarely does.  She loves a sherpa blanket and gets in the zone, even drooling sometimes.  So being taken from mom doesn't necessarily hold true for them.  My 11 year old female will sometimes knead but not much.  Long story short, their mom lives on my back porch.   She won't let me pet her but doesn't run and hide anymore.  The kids are tame and inside cats and adorable but boy do they get into mischief together.  I've had to clear my shelves and I can't keep them from getting up on every shelf, cabinet and ledge!  They egg each other on.

Respected Contributor

I see kneading as a sign of love from a cat.  I never saw a cat that did not do this before

Respected Contributor

Henry just simply doesn’t need to knead, lol!