Frequent Contributor

Re: Cats And Screened In Porches

[ Edited ]

I agree with Marp about Pet Screening.  We took all our window screens to the hardware store and had the old screen replaced with Pet Screening and made sure it was secure within the frames and then screwed the screens to the windows so that would not be pushed out because we did not trust the locks.  True, it is difficult when cleaning the windows; but, surely worth it to have some peace of mind.  The man at the hardware store told me he had replaced the screening on his screened porch with Pet Screening and it was working out fine for his cats.  Of course, I don't know the particulars of his screened porch or the temperament of his cats?

We also have a large Gazebo that is wired with a nice black heavy duty wire fencing material all around and everything wired that leads from a door close by to the house and they have a nice Catio.  I highly recommend Catios.  Everything was much better at our house with our three black rescue cats since the Catio.  They love it?  There are many Catio Books with all kinds--even leading out a window.  The cats love getting fresh air and sunshine--all within a safe environment.

Trusted Contributor

I have a screened patio/cage. When I purchased the house, I had all the screens replaced. I let him go out very slowly because there is a pool. My old apartment had a screened patio and he was allowed out when I was home, but it was very small and it was a 2nd floor apt. Now he has a lounger outside and doesn't go near the screens. I do get nervous when he decides to walk on the edge of the pool though. He is only allowed out when I am home and he comes in when I call him from the door - it's too cute Heart

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Just showed your picture of the adorable Catio to our kitty - he approves!!

Respected Contributor

I let my cat out on my screened 4th floor balcony.  The railing is on the outside of the screens.  She enjoys sitting in the sun, and doesn't claw the screens.  I have a screened patio door, and when the screen is closed, she doesn't claw that either.  I try to be outside with her, but I'm not always able to be out there the entire time.  She comes inside when she wants to eat, drink or use the litter box.

Respected Contributor

Fleas, mosquitos, spiders. Nope.