Honored Contributor

Re: Cats And Screened In Porches

[ Edited ]

Nice to hear that you already have a catio.  8)

Building one has been increasingly in demand over the last several years.

Authored by two well-known kitty experts (including Kate Benjamin of the enjoyable "Hauspanther" website), here's a New York Times bestselling book that I think you'd enjoy:

Image result for ebay catification book

Respected Contributor

I never leave the windows open wide at night.  Trinket is mostly a sane little girl but if somebody wants to start somethin' under the window she'll do her darndest to oblige.  Webbing and screens are a mear hinderence to her.  She chewed through the webbing on her soft sided carrier and she tried to claw her way to the little upstart taunting her under the window.  My boy cat would just lean on them until they gave out.  I gave up having a screen door because of him, although i got pretty good at re-screening the door.  Kinda sad I could put the screen in this summer, but the breeze is nice.

Honored Contributor

@Nicknack  You're going to worry yourself to death over this cat, which you don't even own yet.  When are you going to get it? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@NickNack - FWIW we do not let our kitties sit in an open window with a screen. We don't have a screened in porch, but if we did I would not let my kitties out there without someone being out there with them! We do have a sunroom with a huge cat playground in the corner. They can watch the birds from there! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Nicknack  You're going to worry yourself to death over this cat, which you don't even own yet.  When are you going to get it? 

@Kachina624  I know it's ridiculous for me to think about  this so much.  I really tried to make myself not post this question, but I really wanted to know what others with screened in porches did.  I'm going to get the when Frankie finishes her training sessions.  I think she'll probably have four.  Her second one will be this coming Monday.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@NickNack - FWIW we do not let our kitties sit in an open window with a screen. We don't have a screened in porch, but if we did I would not let my kitties out there without someone being out there with them! We do have a sunroom with a huge cat playground in the corner. They can watch the birds from there! Smiley Happy

@beach-mom  I wouldn't let my cat sit in an open window either.  I never did when I had cats in the past.  I just didn't have the porch when I had my other cats.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

In the Seattle area "Catios" ( cat patios)  are  very popular.  

IMG_0205.JPEG

Trusted Contributor

The design and screen materials on that catio looks very similar to a chicken coop.

That is better fortification for keeping other critters out and yours in, than just using regular screen material.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

In the Seattle area "Catios" ( cat patios)  are  very popular.  

IMG_0205.JPEG

@SeaMaiden - I've heard of these. That's adorable! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Our cat loves to be outdoors.  When I go out on the backporch or deck, he loves to go with me.  We haven't had any problems so far and we have had him for a year.  He was a rescue and is one sweet boy.