Regular Contributor

Re: Cat with ongoing nasal congestion

I think you might need to get a ultrasound, my dog had similar symptoms and it was a nasal tumor.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is his litter box covered?  If so, I would suggest uncovering it.  Is his litter scented?  If so, change to something unscented and low dust.  I highly recommend World's Best, in the black and green bag.  It was recommended to me by others on this forum when I adopted an asthmatic kitty.  Has your kitty had asthma ruled out?

Does anyone in your household smoke?

Or he could have seasonal allergies.  My kitty definitely reacts to the leaf mold in the fall, and the tree pollen in the spring - just like me.

Respected Contributor

Our 12-year old male has developed these same symptoms - recurring upper respiratory symptoms, terrible cough and wet sneezes. Our vet says this is getting common, usually from kittens having a virus that then recurs when cats are older and less able to fight it off.

Over the past 2 years he has been treated with an antibiotic shot that did the trick, lasted a week or longer, and the last visit we had this fall he got some decongestant/antihistamine pills along with that shot. We gave him a pill and he was zonked out seriously for two days, so that's all I used and after that he was fine, pink nose, normal activity and happy.

He also takes Lysine gel as a preventive treatment at first signs of sneezing; I put a glob in his wet food at night and he doesn't like it but likes his food more so down it goes.

He has just started sneezing again, and I know my allergies are acting up again as well - we get sick together. For us it is the outdoor decorations people are getting out of basements, etc., and they are mildewy and moldy. Also leaf blowers are the worst for mildew spores, and leaf pickup today by city, and that's kicked it all up again.

I have air cleaners running, closed windows, and all the suggestions given already are great, especially for the litter.

Hope your kitty feels better soon!

Valued Contributor

My parent's cat "Simba" has had sneezing problems for as long as they have had him (10 years) - after he wakes up from sleeping he will sneeze like crazy, can be wet and messy. He loves to go outside especially during the summer, not long after coming in starts sneezing. The Vet said it was allergies and to try Clariten - it didn't work.

We had cats previously and none of them ever had this problem.