Respected Contributor

Re: Cat with inflammatory bowel disease

@violann wrote:

Hopes and fingers crossed that Iris is feeling better........

@violann 

Our luck this happens over a holiday weekend, and we still have a couple days until we can talk to the vet again.

Iris SEEMS good.  She has had no vomiting or bowel issues.  I gave her another one of the anti-vomiting pills this morning.  Vet said only rice and chicken for food.  We tried baked chicken fillet and then thought of the canned chicken breast I have.  Made a plate with rice, baked chicken, and canned chicken plus the liquid broth it comes in.  Not surprisingly, she licked a bit at the liquid and canned chicken.  We will offer it to her frequently all day.  She's pretty much a dry cat food only kitty.

She was a wild child (a stray), but she has become more sweet.  I know they can hide how they feel.  She is her sweet self.  She went to the window to watch my husband work outside, so she has interest in something.

It pains me to think she's hungry.  We also have other cats, and am playing in and out of the master bedroom to let the others eat dry food.  Just worrying!

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 

It's also possible she has developed food intolerances (not the same as allergies).  

Respected Contributor

Update on Iris!

No vomiting at all so far.  Still having loose stool.  She is not eating too much.  She lost 3 ounces.  Had her to the vet again.  She has some slight liver disturbance, and a high white cell count due to infection.  X-rays showing inflammation.

She was switched from metronidazole to enrofloxacin (Baytril).  We started it today.  It's easier to give, breaks apart easily, and is once a day.

We got some of the prescription diet (Hill's i/d), but we are mixing it with her usual.  That is Purina One Sensitive Systems.  We've tried so many things to get her to eat.

Vet said give insulin if she is eating.  You know how cats are.  They often don't want to do ANYTHING in front of you!

Hyacinth

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 My previous cat had IBD (though, vet provided diagnosis without a biopsy and instead by palpating the abdomen and from her symptoms), and for my cat, the prednisone didn't really help with the loose bowels, for instance, nor did the flagyl (aka metronidazole).  Just as your vet mentioned, the flagyl is supposed to have a bitter taste as well. 

We'd instead found a vet that practices both conventional and alternative medicine.  What helped my fur baby was a supplement called Gastriplex.  We used to get it compounded from the "pet" pharmacy.  It was in capsule form (at the time), so it could be mixed with the wet food.  (Slippery Elm was one of the ingredients.)  Please, however, talk with your vet before trying any supplements or medications, which I know you will do anyway, lol.  There may be a local vet that practices both conventional and alternative medicine for more info.  Perhaps a veterinary teaching hospital too (?)  

Hoping that Iris is feeling better really soon.  Please keep everyone updated!

I should've included that the vet had my cat on a diet from royal canin.  Bless you and your cat, Iris!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

How bad off is she? Will you be prolonging her suffering by treating her? I know that sounds harsh but sometimes these decisions have to be made in the best interest of our pet. I've had to do it more than once and I'm sure many of the people here have had to, too.

Valued Contributor

Metronidazole is the way to go.  Works for my cats (and dogs) everytime.  Any sort of antibiotic seems to make the problem worse.  Just been my experience, of which I've had plenty.

Respected Contributor

I think she is better.  We have been noticing her at the food bowl.  She looks good and SEEMS comfortable.  No vomiting or frequent stools.

Maybe the Baytril is working for her.  We did give metronidazole for several days.  So some more time will tell if Baytril is going to work better in her case.  It is sure easier to give and less traumatic for her.

I am cautiously optimistic.  Thanks for all the input.

Hyacinth