Respected Contributor

Cat with inflammatory bowel disease

My cat Iris is about 12 years old.  She is diabetic but doing well. 

She may have inflammatory bowel disease.  I am wondering if anyone has experience with this.  She is going to be on Amoxicillin and probiotics, and considering metronidazole.  Vet says it tastes really bad, so that can be an issue.

Anyone have good results with treatment?

Thanks.

Hyacinth

Regular Contributor

Re: Cat with inflammatory bowel disease

My baby had it they think, but not really sure, that she had it.  It's kind of trial and error to see what works. She was on the same that you've mentioned. The metronidazole does taste bad, but I wrapped it in a little bit of a pill pocket and used a pill popper. That method worked well worked well for her. The probiotics didn't seem to help since the antibiotics just kill off the good bacteria in the probiotics, but they sure can't hurt. Is she a good eater? That will make pilling her easier, especially with a pill pocket. What really helped my girl was steroids, but there are risks with that especially with diabetes. Good luck to you both! Heart

Trusted Contributor

My sister, in Canada, adopted Persian brothers.  (Humphrey and Boghart)  One started to poop in the tub.   She took him to the vet and he was given a colonoscopy and diagnosed with Colitis.   This was at a young age and neither brother has had any other issues.   She gave him the usual medication at first but discovered that a raw diet was best.   Under the supervision of the vet, the cat was weaned off his meds and does excellently with raw diet.   She gets the diet at a specialty pet store and both brothers eat it.   They are both healthy senior cats now.   The brother with Colitis has always prefered using a litter box with paper litter.   

Every cat is different but I offer this for what it is worth.  

Super Contributor

Hi!  I never post but did see this one and as a cat lover and someone who had several cats with IBD, I understand your challenges.   My vet had me change Faith's food to a novel protein, like duck or rabbit etc also, she took PEpcid from time to time and also, was diabetic. She had IBD for about 12 years.   Finally, the metrozidnole I had compounded through an animal pharmacy into a capsule so Faith never tasted it because it is nasty.

FAith and her biological sister Virginia both had this and lived great lives. Virginia lived to be 12 and Faith 14.   It can be managed but it is tough.  Faith use to vomit and VIrginia had diarrhea.

Good luck and will be thinking of you.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Buddie, our 11 year old neutered male, recently had a serious UTI, and spent 5 days in the hospital.

He was also on a 14 day course of Amoxicillin when he came home, and we had very good luck with dividing his food into 3 meals, and mixing 1/3 of the Amoxicillin into each feeding.

If Iris had a good appetite before her illness this might work for you too. I hope so. I nearly lost a much loved FINGER attempting to get him to take his first dose at home from a Medicine dropper, and we were also pretty panicky about getting his medicine into him until we tried our alternative technique.

It also helped to omit any snacks through the day so that Buddie got REALLY HUNGRY before his meals were served. 

Best of luck. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the input.

Things went from bad to worse after I posted this!  Iris vomited huge amounts twice.  She had constant small amounts of mushy stool all night.  This is the worst she's ever been.

We begged a vet visit this morning.  She was given something for the vomiting, and I got a few more pills for it.  Instructions are for metronidazole twice daily.  She is not to be fed today.  I have multiple cats, so everything is more challenging for one.  Tomorrow she is to be given chicken and rice only.  We'll see if she eats, as she is pretty much a dry food only cat.

She has been okay since about 8am (5 hours).  No vomiting or stool.  My Iris has been through a lot.  She was a stray my daughter found near my dad's house in 2009.  She has lost an eye due to a severe infection.  She did lose 1/4 pound since her last vet visit (and she had lost a pound at that time).

We got the metronidazole in pill form, and we are good pillers due to much experience and a pill tool.  However, dose is 1/4 tablet and it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get it split into 4 accurately.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

One word:  budesonide.

This is a steroid that works in the intestinal tract alone (so no prednisolone system-wide) and it calms this key area down without the serious, overall effects of steroids.

I'm stunned that your vet hasn't gone even to prednisolone, though, to be honest.  I would request and/or demand a trial of budesonide.

All the metronidazole in the world will not help if you don't get the inflammation down.

(And yes, we have a cat with this disease.  Actually she has something called triaditis, which is the tendency for the intestines, liver and/or pancreatitis to get inflamed individually or all at once).

Cerenia (probably the nausea shot you got) can be given every couple of days for a short period.  Ask to have the next shot on hand (it's refrigerated).  That way, if she gets a little unstable again, you can have this handy.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

This is a steroid that works in the intestinal tract alone (so no prednisolone system-wide) and it calms this key area down without the serious, overall effects of steroids.

I'm stunned that your vet hasn't gone even to prednisolone, though, to be honest.  I would request and/or demand a trial of budesonide.

All the metronidazole in the world will not help if you don't get the inflammation down.

(And yes, we have a cat with this disease.  Actually she has something called triaditis, which is the tendency for the intestines, liver and/or pancreatitis to get inflamed individually or all at once).

Cerenia (probably the nausea shot you got) can be given every couple of days for a short period.  Ask to have the next shot on hand (it's refrigerated).  That way, if she gets a little unstable again, you can have this handy.

Good luck!

@Sammycat1 

Thanks for the information.  I will bring it up.

I don't know why they haven't suggested a steroid.  Her diabetes?  I know with people they sometimes will still give steroids to diabetics if necessary (under more supervision).

She has been stable with the diabetes, and I think her weight loss has improved it!  But, it's been a difficult cost.

Info I've read about metronidazole says it has anti-inflammatory effects on the bowel and immune suppression.

I will call them after Memorial Day.  Thanks again.

Hyacinth

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@Sammycat1 wrote:

Good luck!

@Sammycat1 

Thanks for the information.  I will bring it up.

I don't know why they haven't suggested a steroid.  Her diabetes?  I know with people they sometimes will still give steroids to diabetics if necessary (under more supervision).

She has been stable with the diabetes, and I think her weight loss has improved it!  But, it's been a difficult cost.

Info I've read about metronidazole says it has anti-inflammatory effects on the bowel and immune suppression.

I will call them after Memorial Day.  Thanks again.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003 

I'm sorry I didn't read into it too deeply and missed that she's a diabetic.  In that case, the prednisolone is not the best idea, but the budesonide should be a go because it has less systemic effects and works on the problem area only.

Yes, metronidazole does some anti-inflammatory effects, but it's not something you can use all the time or long-term.It also can become a problem, creating diarrhea and upset in cats. That's why I mentioned the budesonide as the means to get on a stable path.

You vet knows best I'm sure for your kitty.  Just thought I'd mention the budesonide. Every cat is different and she may respond very well to it, as ours did.

Honored Contributor

Hopes and fingers crossed that Iris is feeling better........