Esteemed Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@RainyDayGal  This cat has been around for a few years.... It just never bothered my son's previous car, so I had no issue with it.  I can't say for sure, but I don't believe the things you listed were ever done.  I do know that when I asked het about it, she just said that it's not hers, it's a stray and she feeds it.  

I can try the suggestions that were offered to me, if not I guess we will have to go the car cover route.

i would call animal control before you ask your son to cover and uncover his car on a daily basis.....how long would it be before the cat gets the message........just not right that he is inconvenienced for your neighbor's irresponsibilty....jmo....

Respected Contributor

@SloopJohnB 

Maybe don't call animal control, ok? I don't know your area, but depending, it may not go well for the cat if you do.   There are plenty of animal rescues (no kill) -  who could be contacted - you could google or post ofnnextdoor, if you have that there and get recommendations or direction from people on who to contact.  Also you could try local facebook. You may even find someone on these sites who work with the rescues and who will offer to help kitty and trap him bring him to the local rescue.   It sounds as if he's just marking his territory, as others have stated.  He probably needs to be fixed to stop that behavior.  It would be great to try to get him off the streets and potentially into a real home.  At least that could be the fortiutous positive outcome of this situation you are going through.  At the very least he could be checked out medically and fixed -  would be so helpful for your problem and also to stop the proliferation of other strays in the area.   Definitely get the car cover - waterproof!  or at least water resistant. Also, probably clean the car first with the odor eliminators - just make sure it's safe for car finishes.   Chat more with your neighbor - find out more about the cat - is he friendly?  would he need to be trapped or could he be picked up?  Good luck with all this.  Would be great if you could post how it all goes ..

Honored Contributor

Re: Cat vs Car dilemma

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, life isn't always convenient. Sometimes, many of us choose to make allowances for other living things and don't always assume our perks come first without fail. Should a car cover be part of the solution, the up side is it will protect the car against weather, leaves, falling acorns and on and on... Having used a car cover for a time, I can say, it's hardly a major inconvenience... You pull it off, leave it in the garage and cover the car when you're done with it for the day... Even realizing this has created a bit of a challenge for the OP's son, I have to give kudos to the OP's neighbor for trying to help the cat and ensure it has nourishment... At the end of the day, it isn't as though she's hand carrying the cat over and leaving it on top of the car... Personally, I don't view her behavior as 'irresponsible'... On the contrary...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb I agree completely with everything you just said. It's great that the neighbor is feeding the kitty - it's kind.  and the right thing to do.  A car cover does have other benefits. Of course!  It's much better for a car that's being left outside to be covered.  And I really do hope that kitty can be helped and brought to a safe shelter for medical, socialization (if needed) and maybe - fingers crossed - adopted to a safe, loving home.

Honored Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@stevieb I agree completely with everything you just said. It's great that the neighbor is feeding the kitty - it's kind.  and the right thing to do. A car cover does have other benefits. Of course!  It's much better for a car that's being left outside to be covered.  And I really do hope that kitty can be helped and brought to a safe shelter for medical, socialization (if needed) and maybe - fingers crossed - adopted to a safe, loving home.

@moonandthestars  Absolutely...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

Yes, it will eventually hurt something on the car.  Urine could leak in or in an area to have something malfunction.  Call the shelter, most will gladly come out even if they have to trap the cat.  A good shelter will take care of it and hopefully get it a good home.  The shelter will also know if it is not going to adapt to a home and take the necessary steps to  make sure it can't reproduce and relocate it outside in a safe feral cat colony.🐈

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Each to their own, but the level of compassion some seem to lack, as evidenced by some of the remarks on this thread, is a real shame. For the record, the neighbor is feeding the cat but that doesn't make it her responsibility unless it's actually her cat. If if is, then yes, she needs to take action, but if she's merely feeding a hungry animal as a kindness, then no, its not. @SloopJohnB  perhaps your son might consider a car cover. They're not that costly and would protect the car from all kinds of potential hazards.

When you feed a stray cat, (or any animal) you are taking responsibility for it.  You are the reason they are hanging around damaging others property..  Dogs and cats deserve a good home.....not living on the streets.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@moonandthestars   He purchased a car cover yesterday and used it last night.  It appeared clean and untouched today except for the usual morning dew.  🚗

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread