Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cat sleeping under covers

[ Edited ]

I've had both types of cats. Riley, my tuxedo, would start out on top of the  bed. In the week hours of the morning, I would wake up to find him under the covers with his head sticking out on the pillow. My cat, now, Sheldon, doesn't like to be under the covers, unless I am making my bed in which case he gets under the bedspread as I am trying to put it on the bed. He won't come out till I drag him. My Sophie, was always too warm, so she would sleep at the foot of my bed. Lennie is too nervous to get up on the bed. He prefers his quiet places. I used to have a cat, Seymour, who wanted to sleep on top of my lower legs. I would have to extricate myself to get to the bathroom. They are all different, and I have had lots of them through the years. I had one who liked to get under the covers and go clear to the foot of the bed. I don't know how he could even breathe. I have had all domestic short hairs, but I have noticed that the ones with slick, tight fur get cold and want to snuggle. The ones with thicker, more dense hair get too warm under the covers.

Respected Contributor

My tortie, Rhonda, burrows under the blankets on our bed often.

The first time she did it I ran all over the house calling her, worrying that maybe she somehow got outside.  Now when I can’t find her I don’t panic because I know exactly where she is. 😊

Honored Contributor

My dog used to love doing this in cold weather.  And while she doesn't do it now, she still enjoys a light blanket tucked around her on colder nights.  

We call it "blankie season."

Our pets know exactly what they like!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@fortunewrote:

Doggies like to sleep under the covers, too!  This is my granddog, Jasper.  Since this picture, the comforter has worn out, and he now has it next to his dog bed! 

undercover cutie.jpg

@fortune What an adorable picture, love it!

Trusted Contributor

@trenetwrote:

Decades ago,  I had two cats who would usually sleep with their heads on my pillow, front legs stretched straight above their heads and their bodies under the covers. If I was in bed, they slept that way, one on either side of me! 

@trenet Thank you, I loved the story you shared about your precious fur babies sleeping habits!Cat Happy

Trusted Contributor

I had a cat, she loved to sleep under the covers w/ her head on my left shoulder, we slept like this until, well, she past. I have had & do have cats but none of them sleep like she did. They do like to sleep under the covers, I allow them to sleep where ever they want to. After all, it's their world & I'm just living in it.HeartCat HappyHeart I enjoyed reading all of your fur babie posts, thx!

Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

My dog used to love doing this in cold weather.  And while she doesn't do it now, she still enjoys a light blanket tucked around her on colder nights.  

We call it "blankie season."

Our pets know exactly what they like!

@GingerPeach That is adorable, "blankie season", you have the sweetest little dog, Homegirl!

Honored Contributor

Speaking of cats in bed ..........   

Mine loves to "attack" my feet when under the covers ... so I pull my feet out, show him they are me, and as soon as I put them back under the blanket, he goes for them again!   lol

Anyone know why cats do this?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

Mine loves to "attack" my feet when under the covers ... so I pull my feet out, show him they are me, and as soon as I put them back under the blanket, he goes for them again!   lol

@Tinkrbl44

Cats just wanna have fun.  (OK, shoot me now.)  Woman LOL

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Valued Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

@Tinkrbl44wrote:

@Tinkrbl44

Cats just wanna have fun.  (OK, shoot me now.)  Woman LOL

@Tinkrbl44 My cat goes after anything that moves.......toes included.  I get more enjoyment out of watching her antics, than anything on TV.