Honored Contributor

We have a cat that likes to sleep under sheets.  I don't know why.  We had other cats, but none ever slept under covers before.  Today was kind of cold with rain/sleet.  I went to make the bed and found a warm mound.  The cat was under the sheet and bedspread.  Is this dangerous?  Anyone else's cat do this?

Respected Contributor

Re: Cat sleeping under covers

My cat does this everyday so don't worry it's not dangerous.

Valued Contributor

@songbird - our cat did this regularly and made it to 18 with no ill effects.  Finding odd mounds in odd places is somewhat disconcerting though...  

Honored Contributor

Our Bubba does that most days. If I can’t find him we look for a lump in the bed and sure enough it’s Bubba. The other cat prefers to stay in the same room we are in.

Honored Contributor

I feel somewhat better after reading the posts.  I had pulled her out of under the sheets when I found her.  She's now sleeping on the top of the bed.  I hated to disturb her, but it is somewhat unnerving to find a mound like that

Honored Contributor

Why do you find I unnerving? Almost every cat I’ve had loved to sleep under the covers. I think it’s cute. Only dangerous if you sit on her. LOL.
Trusted Contributor

Our Desi and Lucy both love to sleep under covers. It is a daily thing. Our dear Pretty Boy Floyd that went to the Rainbow Bridge a few years ago also slept under a blanket. All our cats have always had there own blanket to sleep under. I think they feel cozy and safe under them while they sleep.

Honored Contributor

@songbird   Oh, yes.  My last cat loved sleeping on the bed under the covers.  That was her spot.  Then I bought her a Bed Buddy and she loved her bed buddy and stopped sleeping under the covers.  Cats love it very warm; they love the sun too.  It is NOT dangerous for your cat to sleep under the covers.  My current cat, Ava, has her own bed with a blankie.  She loves to sleep under her blankie.  Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

My cat did this all the time.  His name was Sweetie Pie, but I laughingly called him my "little lump".  He crossed the Rainbow Bridge, and I miss him dearly. I have another cat now - named Precious.  She likes to "help" me make the bed by crawling under the sheets. It takes me longer to make the bed, but it is well worth it, because she is so entertaining.......and I am constantly laughing at her antics.

Honored Contributor

The only time my Lexie would go under a blanket was if I was on the couch with a throw over me.

At night, she would just get as close as she could.