Contributor

I am so sorry to hear that the program was suspended. It made such sense...and I am sure that it helped many animals (not to mention helping to control overpopulation).

If/when we are able to catch the new kitten on our property we will have it neutered, but obviously not everyone is able to do that for every stray that comes their way (especially if they are on a fixed income).

Thanks for letting me know...

Trusted Contributor

@Elom  That poor homeless cat, this is kind of you to ask about. In my state it's illegal to abandon an animal.  After the real estate crash, they foreclosed on our next door neighbors home, they moved out of state and abandoned their cat.  I could not take it in, my  two dogs were over 14 yo and my cat was16 yo old. 

I called Animal Care and Control and they told me it was illegal to abandon a pet. They said they would prosecute them but instead I was lucky enough to find a no kill shelter that took her in.

If you can't locate the cat's' owner or keep the cat, google and call no kill shelters in your area. They may be able to loan you a crate to bring the cat in.  If you must take the cat to a regular county shelter ask if they prosecute owners' who leave their defenseless pets behind.  It's so sad.

Honored Contributor

@Elom wrote:

Recently my next door renters  moved and either left a cat or they fed a feral. I don't think it is feral as it is very friendly. My question I will not let an animal starve but this cat will eat and clean the bowl 4 times a day. It meows at me so pitifully!

Would you take it or should I take it to the human society? Thanks

some people are heartless. It's cruel.

@Elom 

Well I would call them and ask about the cat, not accusing them of anything but ask if they had seen this kitty, giving them a description.  I would also say I want to find this cat's owner.

Perhaps it wasn't theirs ... have you tried to determine is it might have a chip?   

I've read that now that covid is slowing down in most places, and people are going back to work, animal shelters are getting their pets ... breaks my heart.  Hopefully you will consider adopting this sweet little soul?   Heart

Honored Contributor

The sad thing is, feeding this cat isn't a good idea.  (Nor changing the water several times a day....)  It's simply not enough.

Outside cats come with all kinds of parasites, usually.  If you're lucky enough that it isn't infected with something, it still needs vet care, shots, dental care, etc.

When cats have shown up in my yard, I took the route of trapping them, taking them straight to the vet, quarantining them when I brought them back home for a week or so outside on an enclosed porch, then bringing them in to never return to the wild again.

It's a commitment.

Feeding a cat isn't the answer.  It may be cute or beautiful, but chances are, it needs care.  Care it's never had before other than perhaps being trapped, neutered and without appropriate recovery time, let loose in the wild again.  Very inhumane.

If you can't handle the time or expense for the cat to be checked out, I'd take it to a shelter or where ever. 

Life on the streets or country roads, whether in the cold or the heat or even in a mild climate leaves it vulnerable to a whole plethora of problems.  Viscous outcomes.

I no longer give to rescue groups that support outdoor colonies and do the trap, neuter, release.

The last 3 cats I had have had clipped ears.  It's very hard and stressful for us and them to capture them inside our home to get to the vet for checkups and care.  But they need it, just as dogs do, just as humans do....

My opinion.  My advise.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cat question

[ Edited ]

@Elom  Abandoning any animal is a harsh thing to do. Please, if you can keep the cat, consider doing so. He or she has been abandoned once and it would be so sad to have it happen again. Adopting a cat can be a source of incredible joy and companionship. If the cat must be sheltered, a no-kill shelter would be my only alternative. As noted, taking in a stray can be a big commitment, but there is help available, and I agree with you, I could never let an animal starve or lack for water. Sometimes there does have to be a middle ground.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@PARedbird wrote:

That same exact thing happened at my complex where I used to live.  I started feeding the cat and she would always come to me and let me pet her.  I did take her in and named her Bella.  I knew she was spayed as her one ear was cut off at the very tip.  I know someone either let her behind or just dumped her. 

If her ear was tipped, most likely she was a TNR kitty. Good news is that she wasn't dumped.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mombo1 wrote:

@Elom   My neighbor and I are currently feeding 3 little cats.  They all come together each night for dinner.  Neither of us can take them inside for various reasons...but we are happy to keep them fed.   We are not sure if anyone actually owns these cats and if they were abandoned....we agree it is cruel.  As long as the cats are coming to be fed we will take care of them.  We don't want to take them to the humane society.  

@Mombo1,  bless you and your neighbor for feeding the cats but I hope "will take care of them" includes having them spayed or neutered if they have not already been done.

That will be in the best interest of the cats, as well as in the best interest of you and your neighbor.  If they are allowed to breed you will have a full fledged cat colony faster than you can possibly imagine.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Elom    Maybe the cat was left with no food so that is why she is so hungry but if it continues take it to a vet.   It's sounds like a loving cat that will bring you much joy.  Human Society will kill the cat if no one adopts it in an alloted time.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Thank you all for the help. Unfortunately for me I can't keep the poor cat. I will check him or her out tomorrow to determine sex. I am going to try also to find a no kill shelter.

this is so very hard for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Elom  See if any vet clinics have an on-site cat rescue.  Mine does and the cats are very well cared for.  If your area does not have a no-skill shelter, check with cat rescues for fosters or even the shelters might have a fostering program.  Not to be intrusive, but if you let us know where you are, someone on this board may be able to help.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!