Honored Contributor

Yet another person let their cat out at night, a maine  coon cat ,really pretty ,well it has not come back,why do they do this? Coyotes all over this area.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

And if they do come back, what do they bring back with them?

Honored Contributor

I don't know why they do it @goldensrbest .  Some people think cats can't be happy if they're kept inside.  They've never had an inside only cat, because they are very happy and content.  People post on my Next Door group all the time that their cats didn't come home.  I always hope that if they do find them they will keep them inside.

Someone posted this here a while back and I saved it.  It's so true.

D7BE149D-A4FC-4ABE-95C8-29291C556C46.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My three indoor-only cats are curled up in the chairs next to me, happily sleeping, having had their dinner.  One of mine, the youngest tabby rescue (a beautiful boy) is terrified of the outdoors.  You only have to get him near the open door before he bolts away from it.

My cats are safe and well-cared for and remain indoors with lots of climbing trees and toys.  And I don't have to use toxic flea medicines on them.

Respected Contributor

My daughter just rescued 3 kittens from a ferral cat in her area.  This is mine.  That gives me 6 now.  His name will be Simba.  It's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture.  She is bringing him to me tomorrow.  I can't wait.  I do not believe in outside cats and I will try forever to coach people to keep their cats inside.

20200522_172757 (1).jpg

Honored Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

My daughter just rescued 3 kittens from a ferral cat in her area.  This is mine.  That gives me 6 now.  His name will be Simba.  It's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture.  She is bringing him to me tomorrow.  I can't wait.  I do not believe in outside cats and I will try forever to coach people to keep their cats inside.

20200522_172757 (1).jpg

I love the name Simba, @luvmybeetle .  He's beautiful!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

My 2 cats have never touched the outside earth. I adopted them from a rescue agancy. The mama cat was taken in by a couple who saw her outside and knew she was pregnant. The babies were born inside and nursed by the mother cat until they were ready for adoption. They have no desire to go out side thank goodness. But my cat before these two was an escape artist. If he heard the door open even a crack he slipped out. Many a night I spent outside calling him and coaxing him in. I sure hope that main coon cat is found. They are the sweetest of all cats. 

Respected Contributor

Grew up on a farm and lost many of my barn cat friends. Woman Sad

However (funny story) some customer's kids fell in love with my skinny but friendly tabby, Jet, so dad gave her to them.  I was bummed.

Guess Jet missed me and came home awhile later...AFTER meeting some really gorgeous tomcat!  Gave birth to a white cat with calico markings on head and tail. She became our 1st indoor/outdoor cat.

When I was grown & married, cats became strictly indoors.  (Just don't buy a house with an existing cat door to the garage - great for litterboxes, but they quickly learned the sound of the garage door opener and we had to totally change our habits to get out the door for work).

Finally.  2nd DH & I got 2 bengal cats.  The younger was scared to death of outdoors.  Husband would carry him outside & Rocko would promptly pee on him.  Millie was a former show cat/breeder/leash trained, so she LOVED going for safe walks.  And then we found the best of both worlds.  Caged in our FL lanai where "outside" was no danger. Except the crows that enjoyed tormenting them!

Sorry so long, just feeling nostalgic for ALL the cats in my life...please keep them indoors.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

My cats have always been indoor...and they loved it...too scary out there.

Maine coon cats are so sweet my sister had one lived to be 20 yrs old..

Don't leave your cats out please, on a leash is good.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Yet another person let their cat out at night, a maine  coon cat ,really pretty ,well it has not come back,why do they do this? Coyotes all over this area.

@goldensrbest 

My heart aches for that

innocent kitty and pray that

it returns safe and sound.

I feel nothing but anger for it's

ignorant owners who let it outside.Cat Mad

I have had cats all of my life

(always rescues) and have always

kept them indoors.

I currently have four and they

are all purrfectly content to

stay in the cottage and have