Valued Contributor

Re: Cat owners... where's your litter box?

I have 2 in my laundry room and one upstairs in my husband's office. I have had 2 or more cats since 1986. I think it is more important what type of litter you use and keeping it clean. 

Good luck on your house sale!Cat Happy

Valued Contributor

We keep ours in the laundry room.  When our house was up for sale, I always cleaned the box last thing before leaving, and threw a fresh clean layer of litter over the top.

Good Luck with your sale !!!

Frequent Contributor

Love the Litter Robot.  My best purchase!

Respected Contributor

In the laundry room under a desk.

Trusted Contributor

We have one cat, and a large litter box for her.

It's in our main bathroom. 

My husband scoops the litter box several times a day.

When he changes out the litter, he puts some regular plain baking soda in the box to help with freshness and then mixes it around in with the clay litter.

We use the regular clay cat litter--not the scoopable kind.

If he thinks that it's necessary between litter changes, he'll add some extra litter to the box to freshen it up a bit. 

Respected Contributor

I have 2 cats. I use a large gray storage tote with a hole cut in the short edge and keep  a litter box inside these . They have lids of course. I keep one at the end of a hallway that is close to the bedrooms and one in the half bath.  I found this to be a wonderful hint to contain litter and odor.

I keep newspaper under and on the sides of litter box and change these when I empty box. I also store the scoop in there to keep handy. As long as I scoop daily I can usually only change boxes twice a week.

Check out Pinterest for very helpful ideas.

Honored Contributor

I dont have a litter box, I use the toilet. Cat Wink

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Valued Contributor

My litter box is in the master bath.  We have a separate room for our toilet and the cat box is in there. It has a vented fan to the outside and a ceramic tile floor so its easy to sweep up kicked litter.  Also nobody but us goes in there.  We have two other bathrooms for guests to use.

Regular Contributor

I have two adopted kitties that are less than 2 years old.  I keep the litter box in the bathroom.  I live in a small apartment and am retired, so I am home most of the time, especially with the COVID pandemic. I use an extra large litter box and Fresh Step litter.  I check the litter box several times a day and scoop it out. I empty and wash out the litter box as needed with hot water and a non-chemical cleaner, dry it out and replace the litter,.  Sorry I cannot afford the Litter Robot that costs $400+++.  Like the Litter Maid years ago.  It's important to keep the litter box clean and sanitary as it effects the health of the pets.  If they don't like the situation in the litter box they will not go and can get constipated.  

Respected Contributor

I have one cat but she has 3 litter boxes.  One in the laundry room (she uses this one infrequently).  One in my master bathroom (she uses this one in the mornings).  And the third is in the sun porch at the back of the house (she uses this one the most).  Since I am home w/her nearly all the time, the minute I know she does something, I clean it.  She doesn't like or has me trained to clean her boxes out immediately.

I use Dr. Elsey's clumping cat litter.  The litter is odorless - I can't stand fake fragrance of any sort.  She is a senior cat now, and does have accidents more frequently.  If I was to sell my home, I'd move 2 of the boxes into the garage for a showing but keep the one in the corner of my back porch.  She's a house cat and has no desire to go outside and lose the good thing she's got.

My nose is pretty sensitive to smells.  I'm more apt to smell poop than pee as the clumping litter absorbs it pretty quick.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing