Honored Contributor

Cat owners... where's your litter box?

I'm getting my house ready for sale later this winter and the litter box is an eyesore.  I'd like to know where you keep yours, perhaps there's a clever solution that hasn't occurred to me.

Thank you.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Cat owners... where's your litter box?

My kitty has passed, but I used to keep mine in the laundry room.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For us it was always the bathroom or in my relative's houses, in the basement. I suppose if you had a closet kind of empty, it could be there? The Breeze litter system is very nice and there was no odor. 

Or a covered litter box if your kitty will use thatSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I will state right up front that I am a dog person, not a cat person.  But I wanted to be helpful.  Be sure you get an honest opinion from someone to be sure there is not a lingering cat odor.  The reason I say this is because a few years ago we visited friends in another state, and stayed over just one night.  They have two cats.  When we walked into their house, the smell was overwhelming.  Later in the day, our friend asked us casually if there was a cat odor, because his wife needed to clean the litter box, which I assume she did.  That did not help.  I said that, "Yes, I can smell it a little bit."  That was a white lie as it was so strong that I almost could not get to sleep that night.  I doubt we will visit them in their home again.

I think we do get "nose blind" to odors in our homes.  My home probably smells like dogs and I don't know it.  So before you list your home, you might want to think about that.  Good luck with your sale.  I hope it all goes well.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

When we sold our last house I would hide the litter box whenever we showed our house. I kept the litter box in our basement and when we were trying to sell our house I would keep the box on an old sheet and when we someone would come walk through our house I would wrap up the litter box and push it under our stairs, out of sight. I would take our cats out of the house when people were walking through.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Laundry room. @house_cat - good luck getting your house ready! Whenever we did that we just made sure the boxes were completely clean and the kitties hadn't used one or more of them before any showings. We never had a problem. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat   My kitty too passed away before the sale of our home.  My suggestion would be to check with your realtor as ours was quite helpful with everything else and a good one will always have some tricks up their sleeves!  Best of luck.

Honored Contributor

In the bathroom.  I have a huge bathroom & an automatic litter box - Litter Robot

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

In the bathroom. I don't think there is any clever solution. We are animal people in this house and have smelled animal smells dog and cat in homes of our friends. Just keep the box clean and keep the window open.

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I will state right up front that I am a dog person, not a cat person.  But I wanted to be helpful.  Be sure you get an honest opinion from someone to be sure there is not a lingering cat odor.  The reason I say this is because a few years ago we visited friends in another state, and stayed over just one night.  They have two cats.  When we walked into their house, the smell was overwhelming.  Later in the day, our friend asked us casually if there was a cat odor, because his wife needed to clean the litter box, which I assume she did.  That did not help.  I said that, "Yes, I can smell it a little bit."  That was a white lie as it was so strong that I almost could not get to sleep that night.  I doubt we will visit them in their home again.

I think we do get "nose blind" to odors in our homes.  My home probably smells like dogs and I don't know it.  So before you list your home, you might want to think about that.  Good luck with your sale.  I hope it all goes well.

@Puppy Lips 

I have to agree, I'm a dog person, but DD is a cat person.and when I enter her home, I'm assaulted with the overwhelming smell of cat urine, even though she cleans the boxes regularly and often.

When I mention it to her, her reaction is, "Really? I don't smell it!".

So 'nose blind' is definitely a true phenomenon and no amount of smell good products are going to disguise it.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.