Honored Contributor

Re: Cat not responding to catnip

@Lali1   Bacon?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

The catnip response is hereditary. The trait emerges between three to six months of age.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll probably get some fresh catnip and see what happens. If Simone doesn't respond to good quaility fresh catnip, then I'll know for sure that she doesn't have the gene for it. The catnip I gave her could have been bad. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

My cat daisy was "immune" to the effects of catnip. The other two cats in the house at that time loved it, daisy ignored it. Then one day I brought home a pack of Twinings Peppermint Tea, took out a teabag and she went nuts! Treated the teabag exactly as if it was catnip. Go figure.

I bought peppermint tea (all brands worked) for her after that, putting one or two teabags in a little cloth bag. Gave it to her maybe once a week. She never tired of it. 

Me, not so much, tried the tea once or twice but not a fan. Always had some in the house for daisy, tho'

Honored Contributor

Being a dog person, had to read through the entire thread trying to figure out the purpose of catnip. So, it's an "upper" for kitties?

Thank God, Molly's never gotten near any...IF dogs react to it all. Most dog owners prefer a calm dog. 

Honored Contributor

I'd rather sleep.CAE86B18-5D72-4078-A4EC-373FFD4BB318.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

Being a dog person, had to read through the entire thread trying to figure out the purpose of catnip. So, it's an "upper" for kitties?

Thank God, Molly's never gotten near any...IF dogs react to it all. Most dog owners prefer a calm dog. 

@Shanus   I wouldn't really call it an upper.  Most of my previous cats responded to it by just rolling around with the catnip toy or whatever the catnip was in.  The effects didn't last very long.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack   Thank you for explaining. Not sure catnip for beagles would get Molly up and energetic at nap time, which is anytime. 😜

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Lali1   Bacon?

Lol I don't really think it's in the same category. I guess dogs are naturally high. 

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac :

Image may contain: text that says '"GREEN BLISS" WILL MAKE YOU MELLOW, "EMERALD HIGH" WILL MAKE YOU HYPER, AND "JADE "JADE FADE" WILL MAKE MAKE YOU FORGET CURRENT EVENTS AND- Catnip JADE FADE! Dispensary JADE FADE! facebook facebook.com/ScotMletzaerCartoons Cartoons METZGER'