Esteemed Contributor

Cat not responding to catnip

My two year old cat, Simone, has no response to catnip. She likes her catnip mice, but when I tried gving her dry catnip from a pouch, she sniffed it and walked away. I'm not concerned, as I know a percentage of cats don't respond to catnip, but Simone is the first cat who showed no reaction. . All my former cats went crazy over it. She is healthy, and otherwise acts normal. 

I was wondering if anyone else has a cat that is indifferent to catnip. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Re: Cat not responding to catnip

@teganslaw   Maybe you got a bad batch of weed.  Seriously, it could be poor quality, cut with something else or completely counterfeit.  I'd blame it on the product, not the cat.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

My cats responded but both in different ways.  one got absolutely loopy, munchies and all but the other one channeled her wild side and would turn the tables and Hunt down  the boy cat when she got catnip.  She was not a nice kitty when under the influance. 

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw   My cat doesn't respond to catnip either.  I have quite a few catnip toys and also bought a very expensive high quality catnip.  He has no response at all.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@teganslaw   My cat doesn't respond to catnip either.  I have quite a few catnip toys and also bought a very expensive high quality catnip.  He has no response at all.

That's just because Henry's waiting for you to break out the Armagnac. Cat Wink

Seriously, if the OP's cat is responsive to catnip mice, I suspect the catnip in the bag is dead. I'd get a fresh shipment. I can recommend the Doctors Foster & Smith brand (the company was bought by one of the big-box pet firms). Drs. F&S used to sell it in leaf and pellet form, but I think it's just the loose stuff now.

I discovered that my cats also love valerian in that nippy crazy way, but I'm waiting to ask the vet about it before I rub their toys in it.

Honored Contributor

As a kitten my cat ignored catnip.  As he got older when I gave him some he started acting like a crackhead--> picture-11022.gifNo more crack catnip for him!  His current crack is plastic bags.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Out of the many cats I've had throughout my life, only one has no interest in catnip. He doesn't care about it at all.

Esteemed Contributor

I had one who loved kitty crack. He would drool, roll on the ground and just go crazy. Others have had a so so attitude about it. 

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

That's just because Henry's waiting for you to break out the Armagnac. Cat Wink

Seriously, if the OP's cat is responsive to catnip mice, I suspect the catnip in the bag is dead. I'd get a fresh shipment. I can recommend the Doctors Foster & Smith brand (the company was bought by one of the big-box pet firms). Drs. F&S used to sell it in leaf and pellet form, but I think it's just the loose stuff now.

I discovered that my cats also love valerian in that nippy crazy way, but I'm waiting to ask the vet about it before I rub their toys in it.

LOL @noodleann !

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

This whole thread is entertaining. I do wonder why cats need to be high while dogs have nothing lol