Super Contributor

We recently moved and suddenly my 4 yr old cat has started to lick out bed linens.  At first I ignored it --but then the intestinal issues started for her and when we visited the vet he noticed a lot of linen fiber in her stool.  So I am wondering if any others have experienced this and what solution you found.  Mayeb stress related becuase of the move?   All ehr other behavior has been completely normal---eating, playing, personality.  Just this sudden interst in the bed linens!

I return to the vet in the morning--but would love any adive from the wonderful animal lovers here.

Many thanks

Super Contributor

I don't have a solution but wanted to thank you for mentioning that this has caused intestinal issues.  My male cat likes to "groom" me when he's on my lap and I am wearing my flannel pjs.  I always reposition him and he will stop.  You have provided the information I needed to know that I am doing the right thing, even though his "grooming" seemed very sweet.  Interesting that my female cat has no interest in this activity.  Good luck to you in finding a solution!  Maybe the smoother surface of a higher threat count would work?

Honored Contributor

I think she's still grooming you in a way, with your scent on the sheets.  That's all, I figure.  

My dog likes sox, w/our scent, and she likes to lay in the spot where I sleep when I get up. I think they just like our lingering scent. 

Honored Contributor

I would switch to all cotton sheets and see if the licking continues.  If it stops you've got your answer as to what to do.  If it doesn't, I don't know what to suggest.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I "claimed" all my mama's personal possessions as my own! 

♥♥♥   Kitty the Phantom   (I'm still around in spirit.....watching you all!!!)

≈^••^≈

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

One of my cats likes to lick cellophane wrappers and cardboard boxes. Strange behavior too. I use non scented detergent on everything so no problems there. (DH has allergies.)