Esteemed Contributor

My son's 20 old cat hardly eats. He will be taking her to a vet but just want opinions of what it might be. She has always been thin. A lady in a store said it could be kidneys.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thank you. .

Respected Contributor

Re: Cat isn't eating much

[ Edited ]

A 20 year old cat is quite elderly. There are many possibilities, but the most likely is just plain old age. We had a cat once that lived to be almost 25, but one day she just laid down and left us forever.  We missed her, but had a nice service for her in the back woods that she loved. It's sad to think of losing a pet, but your son's kitty friend is very old in the overall scheme of things. And yes, she may have kidney failure, but there are a doen or more other things that could be wrong. Only your vet can be sure. Just don't let her remain in pain if she is suffering. They can't tell us.

Honored Contributor

She may not like the taste of her food anymore.  My boy is 18.  When I went on vacation in April, he more or less stopped eating.  I called the vet and he recommended a canned food sold there that triggers eating and that we feed him chicken.  My cat sitter cooked him chicken.  When I got home, I babied him for a couple weeks and eventually he went back to canned food.  He won't eat his original brand, but eats a different brand.

My cat sitters cat is 20 and he only eats chicken.  He refuses to eat cat food.  While he doesn't have a hearty appetite, he eats enough.

Granted there may be something medical going on, but my vet tested for the common things.  Testing for anything else would be very costly and a shot in the dark.  I want the best for my boy, but I'm not having him take test after test looking for something.  I keep a close eye on him for any changes.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cat isn't eating much

[ Edited ]

First of all, I want to congratulate your son for taking such good care of his cat to allow such a long life. Of course, some cats never live that long regardless of their care, but it does speak to his being a caring pet parent. I have a 16 year old female cat that has kidney disease. Her symptom was mainly hovering over the water bowl. There are many things an elderly cat might have going on. It is best to let a vet check out the situation. I hope you will let us know what the vet says. 

Esteemed Contributor

GCR18 could you please tell me the name of the cat food your vet reccommened and where it is sold. Thanks